Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Ghost' Guest User

Hello everyone

Since I tried to download a program, I have to deal with a very weird problem.

This includes a weird guest user on my Mac which I can't delete, as the '-' sign is greyed out.

When I allowed the guest user to log in to my Macbook, and restarted my pc, I tried logging in to this guest account.

This resulted in a weird interface where I can only use Safari to browse on the Internet.

When I head over to the System Preferences menu, going to accounts, I clicked on advanced options.

Here I get the details of this guest user, which are quite weird:

Guest-ID: 201

Group: _guest

Account name: Guest

Full name: Guestuser

Home file: /users/Guest

UUID: FFFFEEEE-DDDD-CCCC-BBBB-AAAA000000C9

I tried reinstalling my Macbook, but this didn't solve my problem.

Is there anyone who can help me? Only have my Macbook for 2 weeks after using Windows...

Thank you in advance!

William

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Sep 21, 2017 2:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2017 8:50 AM

In addition to what tjk wrote, I would add:

that the guest account (or ANY new User you create) has NO ACCESS to any of your files.

Mac OS is inherently a Multi-User system, with strong protection of the files of each User.

If someone wants to "just hop on the Internet for a minute" show them the Guest account. Do not allow others to use your login account.

If someone needs regular access to your computer, create a new User for them. If you create another regular User, they get their own Desktop, their own settings and their own files, with No access to anything of yours.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2017 8:50 AM in response to tjk

In addition to what tjk wrote, I would add:

that the guest account (or ANY new User you create) has NO ACCESS to any of your files.

Mac OS is inherently a Multi-User system, with strong protection of the files of each User.

If someone wants to "just hop on the Internet for a minute" show them the Guest account. Do not allow others to use your login account.

If someone needs regular access to your computer, create a new User for them. If you create another regular User, they get their own Desktop, their own settings and their own files, with No access to anything of yours.

'Ghost' Guest User

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.