Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot place voice call over bluetooth

After the update on iOS11 I cannot place a voice call when my iPhone 6s is connected to my car's bluetooth. All the other BT functions are OK (I can place and take calls from the steering wheel, listen to music etc.) and "do not disturb while driving" is set to manual.

I tried to pair the phone from scratch but nothing changed. Strangely, when bluetooth is disconnected, I can place voice calls from the phone.

This thing is very annoying (and dangerous), because in order to place a call I have to find the name in the catalogue.

Any ideas guys?

iPhone 6, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 21, 2017 3:23 AM

4 replies

Sep 21, 2017 7:31 PM in response to georgiosfromtripolis

Hi georgiosfromtripolis,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that after updating your iPhone to iOS 11, you can no longer make outbound calls from your car while connected to the stereo via Bluetooth.

Thank you for providing the troubleshooting steps you have already completed and yes, you’re definitely on the right path.

To continue troubleshooting, make sure you follow all of the steps outlined in the following article. The last step outlined is to contact Apple Support if the previous troubleshooting doesn’t resolve the issue.

If you're using Bluetooth

1. Check your car stereo's user manual for how to pair with a Bluetooth device.
  2. On your iOS device, swipe up to open Control Center, then tapUser uploaded filetwice to turn Bluetooth off and back on.
  3. Restart your iOS device.
  4. On your iOS device, unpair your car stereo. On your car's display, unpair your iOS device and any other devices. Restart your car and your iOS device, then pair and connect again.
  5. Update your iOS device.
  6. Install any firmware updates for your car stereo.
  7. If you still can't connect, contact Apple Support.

Get help connecting your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with your car stereo - Apple Support

Cheers!

Sep 22, 2017 11:05 AM in response to georgiosfromtripolis

Hi georgiosfromtripolis,

Thanks for replying with that information and clarification!

As far as the issue goes, the troubleshooting would be the same as we mentioned before. If working through those steps did not help to resolve this situation, it may be necessary to reach out to Apple Support directly.

Contact - Official Apple Support

Have a great day!

Sep 22, 2017 3:47 AM in response to i_rina

Thanks for the reply i_rina.

Actually, my problem is about voice dialing (and not voice calls, as I mentioned by mistake).

When my iPhone 6s is connected to my car's bluetooth and I press the central button in order to make a voice dial call, nothing happens - instead, I have to search manually the contact I want to call in order to place the call.

This happens only when my phone is connected to my car's bluetooth - otherwise voice dialing is working normaly.

Cannot place voice call over bluetooth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.