Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wifi sync not working in ios11 with iTunes 12.7

I can't get my iPad pro 10.5 to sync over wifi after updating to ios11. I have iTunes 12.7 version. Help?

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi, Cellular, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 21, 2017 5:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2017 5:14 AM

Hi there, Joanna!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you are having issues syncing your iPad through Wi-Fi with iTunes. I recommend taking a look at this article with steps to follow to Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iTunes using Wi-Fi . Specifically, check out the steps here:

Get help

If you can't set iTunes to sync over Wi-Fi, or if sync doesn't work:

1. Restart your computer and iOS device.
  2. Make sure that your computer and iOS device are on the same Wi-Fi network. Syncing doesn't work over an Ethernet to Wi-Fi connection.
  3. In your firewall settings, make sure that TCP ports 123 and 3689, and UDP ports 123 and 5353 are open. If you need help with this step, contact your computer or router manufacturer or check the instructions for your firewall or security software.

Let me know the results and have a great day!
14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2017 5:14 AM in response to joanna l

Hi there, Joanna!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you are having issues syncing your iPad through Wi-Fi with iTunes. I recommend taking a look at this article with steps to follow to Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iTunes using Wi-Fi . Specifically, check out the steps here:

Get help

If you can't set iTunes to sync over Wi-Fi, or if sync doesn't work:

1. Restart your computer and iOS device.
  2. Make sure that your computer and iOS device are on the same Wi-Fi network. Syncing doesn't work over an Ethernet to Wi-Fi connection.
  3. In your firewall settings, make sure that TCP ports 123 and 3689, and UDP ports 123 and 5353 are open. If you need help with this step, contact your computer or router manufacturer or check the instructions for your firewall or security software.

Let me know the results and have a great day!

Dec 27, 2017 10:09 PM in response to joanna l

Fix for Wi-Fi Syncing & Wireless iOS Devices Not Showing Up in iTunes

The solution for wireless syncing not working and devices not showing up is almost always just to kill the Apple Mobile Device Helper process, both in OS X or Windows.

Fix for Mac OS X

Launch “Activity Monitor” (found in /Applications/Utilities/)

Use the search box in the upper right corner and search for “AppleMobileDeviceHelper”

Select that process and then click the red “Quit Process” button

Leave Activity Monitor and then relaunch iTunes

You should now be able to sync.. Tried and tested it myself.

Dec 15, 2017 5:50 PM in response to Qubits

I had the same issue, seemed to stop working on Dec 2. I just plugged them into my MBpro, it asked if to trust the device on the MB and the iPhone. I selected trust on both, it synced on the cable and now is fine. Had the issue on my iPad mini and ran the same procedure. All is good and working fine. Perhaps they forced this action out after fixing the big security flaw?

Dec 16, 2017 4:37 AM in response to salty bear

I find I have the same issue with my iPad Pro 12.9" wi-fi. To sync I have to connect upto my iMac with the cable that came with it.

Disconnect the cable and syncing drops off and the iPad does not show up in iTunes.

In iTunes - options I have checked both "open iTunes when iPad is connected" and also "sync over wi-fi".

I have also switched off and on "wi-fi" on the iPad.

Jan 23, 2018 2:55 AM in response to raina_b22

Salty Bear (and a few others) provided the correct answer.

I had the same issue, same last sync (Dec 2) and doing the trust thing solved it. In fact 90% of the time this happened in the past the fix was to connect via cable first and re-establish the trust.

It seems under some circumstances the trust is broken and Apple did not build the smarts into this to report accordingly to the user.

Retarting (or re-installing) is a Microsoft method to fix everything 😟 ... hate to see Apple follow the bad example ....

Feb 5, 2018 3:55 AM in response to joanna l

Hello, I have tried all of these potential solutions and none have worked for me! My iPhone 6s & iTunes are both up to date, really can't figure it out and it's very frustrating!

Any more ideas?

I have the new MacBook pro with USB3 and so I am having to use a (non-apple) adapter to connect the two. Could that have anything to do with it? I had to connect the wire in order to see AppleMobileHelper in the Activity Monitor but other than that, the wire doesn't seem to be making a difference - my iTunes is still not recognising my device!

Thanks!

wifi sync not working in ios11 with iTunes 12.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.