Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

About iOS 11 and Anyone Still Using an iPad 4th Generation

The iPad 4th generation is ineligible and excluded from upgrading to iOS 11

With the introduction of iOS 11, ALL support for older 32 bit iDevices and any iOS 32 bit apps has ended.

Your iPad 4 is a 32 bit hardware device.

The new 64 bit coded iOS 11 ONLY supports newer 64 bit hardware iDevices and 64 bit software, now.

The iPad 4 is incompatible with this new iOS, now.

No need to panic or worry though.

Your iPad 4th gen will still work and function as it always has, but will no longer receive any more app updates sometime after the Fall of 2017.

The 4th gen iPad has had over 5 years of iOS upgrades/updates

The final app updates your 4th gen iPad will receive will be its last!

Your iPad 4 will survive and stay a viable, functioning iPad for a few more years to come.

This is why Apple introduced the new, lower cost 2017 iPad 5 model, in April

Apple is trying to get older iPad 2, 3, 4 and 1st gen Mini iPad users to upgrade to more modern iPad hardware in anticipation of iOS 11, which will render all older 32 bit iDevices obsolete.

Good Luck to All of You!

iPad Pro Wi-Fi, iOS 10.3.3, 12.9 inch screen, 128 GB

Posted on Sep 21, 2017 5:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2017 8:08 AM

Why?

Do you need iOS 11 so badly?

What is your hurry to upgrade?

A lot of users just blindly rush to upgrade their Apple iDevices, then beech and moan when the new and “shiny” iOS upgrade is full of bugs, issues and problems that negatively affect the operations of everyone's iOS devices!

Right now, iOS 11 is pretty bug laden.

I still consider it a “general released, world-wide FULL public beta”, now!

Your iPad 4 will still serve you for, at least, another full year, maybe longer.

My wife and I are STILL using older iPad 2 and 3 models!

They are still working fine for our needs!

I have a 1st gen iPad Pro and I am waiting indefinitely to upgrade to iOS 11 until it is much more stable and reliable.

48 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2017 8:08 AM in response to Ottrellc

Why?

Do you need iOS 11 so badly?

What is your hurry to upgrade?

A lot of users just blindly rush to upgrade their Apple iDevices, then beech and moan when the new and “shiny” iOS upgrade is full of bugs, issues and problems that negatively affect the operations of everyone's iOS devices!

Right now, iOS 11 is pretty bug laden.

I still consider it a “general released, world-wide FULL public beta”, now!

Your iPad 4 will still serve you for, at least, another full year, maybe longer.

My wife and I are STILL using older iPad 2 and 3 models!

They are still working fine for our needs!

I have a 1st gen iPad Pro and I am waiting indefinitely to upgrade to iOS 11 until it is much more stable and reliable.

Oct 4, 2017 5:34 PM in response to Diana.McCall

I just discovered I cannot use Pages on my 4th generation iPad for dicuments also looked at by my iPhone with iOS 11! I depend on Pages daily with my iPad & extremely impacted I was not warned to not update my iPhone if I wanted to use Pages across both devices on the same documents now found in the files app with IOS 11 & not available to my 4th generation iPad. Argh!

Oct 30, 2017 6:52 PM in response to MichelPM

Hi MichelPM,

May I ask you a question? Okay - make that two or more questions... you seem to be very knowledgeable.

Can I turn on iCloud Drive in a 4th Generation iPad which has iOS 10.3.3 installed, or is it too late to turn it on?

Also, I have waited too long to update my iPhone 5s to any iOS past 8.4.1 due to a long, detailed problem with two third-party apps. I wanted to know if I can I turn on iCloud Drive in that iPhone as well, or is it too late?

iCloud Drive is present on both devices that I mentioned above, but I never turned it on, and I am afraid to turn it on because I have such an old iOS on the iPhone 5s. I'm also afraid because I learned that when iCloud Drive was first developed there was no iCloud Drive App available. As a result, if I turn on iCloud Drive now, I don't think I will see the iCloud Drive App since I would still be using iOS 8.4.1 on the iPhone 5s. However, maybe I can use the iCloud web version until I get the third-party app problems resolved.

I do not own a MAC of any kind, so I am not worried about the problem MAC users had with not having an iCloud Drive App available at the time that iCloud Drive was first developed.

I'm sorry for rambling so much, but I have been losing sleep over my problems for over a year now, therefore any help or insight is greatly appreciated. My next step is to broadcast my problems over the airwaves or get myself a giant antenna and broadcast into the sky. Maybe the aliens can help me. Thank you for taking time out from your busy day to read my long drawn-out story. I appreciate everything. Mary491.

Nov 1, 2017 7:39 PM in response to Mary491

You should have received my full reply in an auto generated email from the Apple Support Communities.

This posting, that I specifically wrote and posted, is supposed to be a single use, 1-page, read-only post about iPad 4th gen models and iOS 11.

I didn’t want another long unrelated posting in this post, so I replied to your question long enough for the Apple Support Communities to send you an automated email with my full answer in that email.

Once I waited long enough to know that you got the email, I deleted my response to you.

Did you receive the automated Apple Support Community email with my full reply to you?

If not, I strongly suggest you copy/paste your question here and generate a brand new, dedicated separate posting as your original reply post was completely unrelated to what my post topic is all about.

Good Luck to You!

Nov 1, 2017 8:24 PM in response to MichelPM

Hi MichelPM,

I'm sorry for my mistake. I now understand the purpose of your original post. Thank you for explaining. And thank you for posting the important message about iOS 11 and those of us who are using the iPad 4th Generation. I am one of them too. Don't worry about responding to my post. I got some answers anyway from other community members. I appreciate it all the same. Lots of luck to you as well!

Regards, Mary491

Feb 2, 2018 5:09 PM in response to Butterfly47

You aren’t adressing anyone from Apple here in this posting.

You are addressing me and I am just a user, like you.

You did not read the beginning of my post very well.

Your iPad 4 is an older, 32-bit device.

All newer iDevice models and iOS 11 are all 64-bit based, now and are incompatible with all older 32-bit iDevices and 32-bit iOS apps.

You had 5 years of iOS upgrades/updates and iOS app updates!

You're lucky iPad 4th gen users got to get to iOS 10, at all!

My iPad 3rd gen is only 6 months older than your iPad 4th gen and iPad 3 users didn’t get iOS 10.

So, welcome to the older iPad using community group!

You should expect to get another two years, or so, from that iPad 4.

You should have NO issues with continuing to use your iPad 4th gen.

Under iOS 10.3.3, your iPad should STILL be receiving daily app updates.

Good Luck to You!

About iOS 11 and Anyone Still Using an iPad 4th Generation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.