Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can I add favorites to files app on ios11?

Recently updated my iPhone 7 plus to IOS11 and was pleased to see the new file app but I can't for the life of me work out how I can favorite files. Is this something that happens automatically depending on how often a file is opened? I read on a blog that folders can be added but again I can't work out how this is done.

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 21, 2017 6:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2017 7:45 AM

Hello alexfromleyland,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you want to know more about the Files app in iOS 11 on your iPhone. With individual files in the Files app, you can assign tags to be able to find and group certain files:

Keep your files organized

It’s easy to find and organize all of the files stored in iCloud Drive—including Pages, Numbers, and Keynote documents. When you make changes on one device, your edits are automatically updated on every device using iCloud Drive.

View your files by name, date, size, or the tags that you add. With colorful and custom labels, you can assign tags to your files any way that you like. That means you'll quickly find just the project or document you need.

Add a tag

1. Go to Select.
  2. Tap the file that you want to tag.
  3. Tap Share or User uploaded file > User uploaded file.
  4. Choose the tag that you want to add.

Manage your tags

1. Go to Locations > Edit.
  2. Tap the name of an existing tag.
  3. Enter the name of your new tag.
  4. Tap Done.

You can also name or rename your files and folders when you press firmly on them. Or move files from iCloud Drive to other locations in the Files app. On your iPad, simply drag files into the On My iPad folder. Follow these steps on your iPhone and iPod touch.

Move iCloud Drive files

1. Go to Select.
  2. Tap the file that you want to move.
  3. Tap Move or User uploaded file.
  4. Choose the folder where you want to move your file.
  5. Tap Move.

Move third-party cloud files

1. Open the file that you want to move.
  2. Tap Share or User uploaded file > Copy.
  3. Open the folder where you want to move your file.
  4. Firm press the screen.
  5. Choose Paste.

To create new folders and mark some folders as a Favorite in the Files app, follow these directions:

Copy, duplicate, rename, move, or delete a document or a folder. Touch and hold the document or folder, then choose an option. Not all options are available for all selections; for example, you can’t delete an app library. (App libraries look like folders labeled with app names.)

User uploaded file

Move a file or a folder with drag and drop. Touch and hold an item until it lifts up, then drag and drop it into a different folder or location. To move multiple items simultaneously, touch and hold an item, drag it slightly, then continue holding it while you tap additional items with another finger. To open folders and locations while touching and holding a selection, tap them with another finger. As you drag, User uploaded file appears wherever you can drop the item.

Note: You can’t move app libraries, which look like folders labeled with app names.

Mark a folder as a Favorite. Touch and hold the folder, then tap Favorite from the menu that appears. You can locate favorite folders quickly in the Browse sidebar.

Use the Files app on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
Organize documents and folders - iPhone User Guide

Cheers!
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2017 7:45 AM in response to alexfromleyland

Hello alexfromleyland,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you want to know more about the Files app in iOS 11 on your iPhone. With individual files in the Files app, you can assign tags to be able to find and group certain files:

Keep your files organized

It’s easy to find and organize all of the files stored in iCloud Drive—including Pages, Numbers, and Keynote documents. When you make changes on one device, your edits are automatically updated on every device using iCloud Drive.

View your files by name, date, size, or the tags that you add. With colorful and custom labels, you can assign tags to your files any way that you like. That means you'll quickly find just the project or document you need.

Add a tag

1. Go to Select.
  2. Tap the file that you want to tag.
  3. Tap Share or User uploaded file > User uploaded file.
  4. Choose the tag that you want to add.

Manage your tags

1. Go to Locations > Edit.
  2. Tap the name of an existing tag.
  3. Enter the name of your new tag.
  4. Tap Done.

You can also name or rename your files and folders when you press firmly on them. Or move files from iCloud Drive to other locations in the Files app. On your iPad, simply drag files into the On My iPad folder. Follow these steps on your iPhone and iPod touch.

Move iCloud Drive files

1. Go to Select.
  2. Tap the file that you want to move.
  3. Tap Move or User uploaded file.
  4. Choose the folder where you want to move your file.
  5. Tap Move.

Move third-party cloud files

1. Open the file that you want to move.
  2. Tap Share or User uploaded file > Copy.
  3. Open the folder where you want to move your file.
  4. Firm press the screen.
  5. Choose Paste.

To create new folders and mark some folders as a Favorite in the Files app, follow these directions:

Copy, duplicate, rename, move, or delete a document or a folder. Touch and hold the document or folder, then choose an option. Not all options are available for all selections; for example, you can’t delete an app library. (App libraries look like folders labeled with app names.)

User uploaded file

Move a file or a folder with drag and drop. Touch and hold an item until it lifts up, then drag and drop it into a different folder or location. To move multiple items simultaneously, touch and hold an item, drag it slightly, then continue holding it while you tap additional items with another finger. To open folders and locations while touching and holding a selection, tap them with another finger. As you drag, User uploaded file appears wherever you can drop the item.

Note: You can’t move app libraries, which look like folders labeled with app names.

Mark a folder as a Favorite. Touch and hold the folder, then tap Favorite from the menu that appears. You can locate favorite folders quickly in the Browse sidebar.

Use the Files app on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
Organize documents and folders - iPhone User Guide

Cheers!

how can I add favorites to files app on ios11?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.