Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Low Volume after TvOS 11 update?

I was wondering if anyone was experiencing any audio issues after the update.

Apparently auto-update is turned on because I don't normally update my OS' until a week or two after release to avoid these kind of issues.

My normal listening volume on my Samsung Plasma is anywhere from 15-20 depending on the app. (DirecTv Now is about 18, Youtube is around 15, Netflix can be as high as 20-22)

But after the update, I have to have it cranked up to around 50-60 to even hear anything and all the clicks and UI sounds are deafeningly loud. This holds true for everything. DirecTv Now, Netflix, Hulu, PBS, FOX, the movies we own in iTunes, Games on the AppleTV.... literally anything. (minus the volume up and down beeps and UI sounds from the remote. Those are super loud.)

Anyone have any ideas? It was fine last night before it updated.

Apple TV, tvOS

Posted on Sep 21, 2017 7:50 AM

7 replies

Sep 26, 2017 4:59 PM in response to MNwriter

I am also having this issue. My Vizio Sounds Bar is cranked all the way to have a normal volume to watch shows, my sound bar has lights on sides, it used to be normal level with 3 lights on, now the same volume listening I have to crank it to like 10 lights (all the lights) I'm pretty much at full volume.

This needs to get fixed asap, this is annoying. Same issue with sounds and clicks from the Apple TV too.

Oct 1, 2017 1:37 PM in response to MNwriter

I’m having the same problem. It was totally intermittent last night. We were trying to watch the new Spider-Man movie. I had it downloaded to my server so we started it through computers. I had to max out my onkyo receiver to have moderate volume. So I thought maybe my dl was bad. Switched to streaming through movies... same issue but at least it was slightly louder than through computers.

Then. Halfway through, we paused for 5 min. Hit play, sound was back to normal and nice and loud. (Well, blasting at first).

20 min later we had to pause again, back to quiet. I tried the pause “trick” again later but could never get audio back to where it should be.

The system sounds are always loud. But the movies are not. Doesn’t matter which app I’m using.

This is seriously annoying and needs to get fixed ASAP. I am looking at new 4K sets but was going to keep my onkyo receiver for the sound processing. It has a 4K pass through anyway. If this is going to continue to be an issue, it’ll prob determine which 4K streaming device I choose.

Please sort this issue Apple. Looks like I’m not the only one with a problem.

Nov 9, 2017 9:09 AM in response to MNwriter

I too have this issue, since the update.

The interface beeps are very loud while, any programming whatsoever, is extremely low in volume.

I find myself topping out the volume, just to hear the programming at a lower volume than I would normally.

This may be due to the fact that I only use stereo and not surround and that Apple is now, not compensating for that.

I've tried everything in the digital audio food chain, including the audio setting options and so far, nothing helps.

Regardless, there needs to be an update to reinstate the quality of the audio presentation.

Low Volume after TvOS 11 update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.