Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth and WiFi don't turn off in iOS 11

Hello,

since I updated my iPhone 6s to iOS 11, I can't completely turn off the WiFi and bluetooth from the control center anymore.

Basically, whenever I try to switch the bluetooth off from the control center, the icons turns back into grey, the bluetooth icon disappears from the top right, but whenever you enter the phone settings the bluetooth is still on.

Same story with the WiFi.

Why is this happening?

iPhone 6s, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 21, 2017 9:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2017 10:27 AM

ProustGiulio wrote:

Use Bluetooth and Wi-Fi in Control Center with iOS 11 - Apple Support

New feature in iOS 11

Regards

Giulio

Contrary to what is stated in that article

User uploaded file

this does not work. as I previously posted.

16 replies

Sep 21, 2017 10:22 AM in response to gabriel91g

I have noticed this issue as well. It seems all the Control Center

WiFi controls nothing, except turn WiFi on if it isn't already on.

It doesn't appear to disconnect, as when I do "disable" from the

control center, even though when you look at WiFi in settings it

says "Not Connected", entering the WiFi setting still has it turned on.

It doesn't actually turn off and disconnect until you flip the switch

in settings.

I have verified the activity by monitoring my wireless router. Touching the

control in Control Center starts and connects me to the router. "Disabling"

via Control Center is doing nothing as the iPhone is still connected to the

router. It is not until I flip the switch in WiFi settings until it actually

does turn off and disconnect me from the router (even though in the main

Settings page it is saying "Not Connected".)

BTW, I also have a 6S. It is a 64GB, AT&T phone if it matters.

Sep 22, 2017 3:56 AM in response to gabriel91g

Indeed. The control is misleading and does not do what it did in previous versions of iOS. As others posted, it disconnects the device from current networks / peripherals but leaves the service running. Not only is this a battery drain concern, it also has privacy and security implications - particularly leaving folks susceptible to evil twin attacks (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_twin_(wireless_networks).

I recommend leaving wifi and bluetooth completely turned off except when specifically needed. Now that requires unlocking the device and going into the Settings every time - multiple times per day for me. Not the end of the world but still frustrating.

I'm seriously disappointed in Apple for this change.

Sep 23, 2017 3:22 AM in response to gabriel91g

Dear Apple IOS team,

Please update iOS 11's control center to completely turn-off Bluetooth and Wi-Fi like in previous iOS versions.

We shouldn't have to navigate into the Settings menu to do this.

One of the purposes of the Control Center is to give user shortcuts for common functions. When I turn off Bluetooth and WiFI using the control center, I expect it to function as the same using Settings. Off should means off (and not pretend to be off).

Many of us live, work and visit locations when we need WiFi and Bluetooth "really" turned off regularly and we shouldn't have to navigate to different areas of the settings app to do this.

Thanks,

Oct 1, 2017 8:35 AM in response to gabriel91g

This article gives a good explanation as to why it is the way it is.

https://www.cultofmac.com/505267/ios-11-control-center-wi-fi-bluetooth/

Personally, I like it. A lot! WiFi and Bluetooth do not significantly drain the battery, especially when in low power mode (i.e. when disconnected from networks and devices).

I can't count the number of times I've shut off WiFi just to disconnect from a marginal network only to forget to turn it back on again... My wife is a good example of this. She will shut it off to stay off the guest network where she works because it's terrible more often than not and the captive portal means staying connected often doesn't work right at all. Then she forgets to turn it back on and spends the evening watching videos and blowing through our data after she gets home. This solves that.

Dec 28, 2017 8:27 PM in response to gabriel91g

I agree with you, this new “feature” *****, why would we need that, what advantage does it bring, I say, none! The new feature for OS11 says, at the moment you turn it off, “WiFi [and/or] Bluetooth were turned off until tomorrow morning”, I mean where is the advantage in that, having it on all the time until tomorrow will only drain he battery needlessly, there’s no point in having it ON if I’m not going to use it, there is absolutely no positive way to think of it. Only if you think, “okay, I got **** load of money and I’ll have a new iPhone every year, who cares about battery life!”, but that’s a minority, I started using an iPhone for he first time ever 4 months ago and I have absolutely no complaints about anything, and I really mean it, be that the phone, the costumer service, the payment process and refunds all of it I love all of it and what not, I’m a sucker for android, and I’d rather buy iPhone X in a few months than the Pixel XL 2, but why, just WHY!? To change something so simple and easy, to turn it into a daily struggle and headpain. At least offer us an option to deactivate this feature!!!

Dec 28, 2017 8:25 PM in response to KiltedTim

Where does it!!!??? I mean, okay half of your explanation makes sense but at the end you totally screwed it up. Okay she “turns it off” but the WiFi won’t connect after a few hours this feature makes it so that after u “turn it off”, or to better describe it, it disconnects until the next day! Even if she doesn’t need to use the WiFi in guests hotspots or whatever and turns it off, it doesn’t matter she’ll have to go back to the settings or the control panel to make a connection over again, on the step by step process it doesn’t change a thing.

Bluetooth and WiFi don't turn off in iOS 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.