You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 11 not sending video messages

Has anyone else had this issue and been able to fix is. I’m running iOS 11 on my 7+, an I can send pictures and videos in iMessage with no issues, but when I tried to send a video in a regular text message it just won’t send. I’ve updated my carrier settings and restarted my phone.

Posted on Sep 21, 2017 11:38 AM

89 replies

Oct 30, 2017 8:10 PM in response to NFaivre

Hopefully this is it. However, you will have to do this every time you try to share a video with non-iOS users. Also, I didn’t try sending videos to iPhone users while in this setting, because it was just to late at night when I figured it out.

I noticed that when you disable iMessage, MMS stays on for some reason. You need to disable that too (again). So follow these steps:

- Settings / Messages / Turn off iMessage.

- MMS will stay on, so go ahead and disable it.

- After you send your video turn iMessage back on. *

* I did notice that when you turn iMessage back on, you won’t see SMS back on also right away. It takes a few seconds to bring it up.

Try sending videos to iPhone users using the iMessage and MMS off settings and let me know if if works.User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Oct 2, 2017 11:56 AM in response to purplemonica

I just tried this and the turning off MMS does not work. It just turns it into some weird code when the android side gets it.

I tried sending a 25 second video clip to an android user, no problem. Sent a 49 second video clip to an android user "this message was not sent" error.

Maybe it's some size issue that is causing the video not to send. I can send photos just fine.

Oct 3, 2017 5:51 AM in response to Lowell Gilbert1

I have the answer!!!!! I spoke with Verizon Tier 2 support on this. It seems that iOS 11 sets video to record at 1080p now. The messages app is not compressing the video before sending. To fix this, go to settings, camera, and lower the video quality down to 720p at 30fps. Your video messages will now send.

But the old videos recorded at 1080p won't send. Apple needs to fix the compression issue. Bottom line.

Oct 4, 2017 6:51 AM in response to Lowell Gilbert1

Hi, I was having trouble with messages (iPhone to Android, iPhone to iPhone, attaching a video, etc.) and completed the update. It did not seem to actually fix the issue; however, I contacted Verizon both yesterday and today...here is the bottom line...

After iOS updates (11.0.2) it seems the iPhone video settings default to the 1080p HD at 30 fps. I attempted to send a 30 second video under this format and was able to send it to an iPhone, but not android. I shortened the same video to 15 seconds and it failed to send to android again. I tested a 30 second video using the 720p HD at 30 fps and it sent successfully to android users (via a group message). It does seem to have to do with the 1080 setting. There could be some issues combining file size as well, but I just switched my default settings to 720p. I am hoping Apple will work with file compression so we can feel comfortable with using the 1080p setting.

Oct 4, 2017 8:47 AM in response to Mtyson84

I appreciate all the setting info, but for me it’s not the point. I am very disappointed with Apple! Their quality and commitment to their product and customers is failing! I’m not looking to use 720...most people are moving to 4K as we (iPhone users) go backwards in technology. I Get this is quick fix to help us send vids and pics, but Apple should have fixed this!!

Sure hope Apple gets this right soon!!

Oct 4, 2017 10:55 AM in response to Lowell Gilbert1

Calm down, I dont work for apple! Im just giving a note to those have never been in these settings! You guys act as if i made the phone and suggesting that im never gonna fix it and here is the only workaround. 🙂

Thats the point of a discussion, a 'FIX' or 'Workaround' in the meantime....

I'm just a user just as anxious as everyone else to see a fix

I just happened to be one of the first to notice the problem on Tue the 19th within hrs of the release. You notice im the first Comment of the original question on this thread. I googled the problem 2 sundays ago and this question was about the first one ever on the entire internet.

I went to the SMS MMS settings and thought maybe with the upgrade those got reset, and most users wouldnt have a clue of what those were originally set at. Experimented, asked friends/family before the upgrade how those were SET and a message went through, but only for like 5 hrs and then it all stopped working. Hence this whole discussion begun to snowball.

Oct 5, 2017 11:46 AM in response to Lowell Gilbert1

*******I’ve tired with my 7+ to send videos to non iPhone users with no luck. Trying every way to work around their collective screw up with to many bugs and to many disgruntled apple users who are probably as myself wonder why they aren’t all over a fix. Since most people use their phones for work related needs. I have searched the threads talked to “apple support. No geniuses there. Everyone blaming the other. This is an IOS 11 .1 .2 and probably .3 the next update too. Tried changing the video default didn’t work the sms sms/mms. Calling basically apple has left apple users in the dark ages once again. With pre mature updates with major bugs and no fixes. While the other markets/brands excel. So hate away at me But the truth is the truth until they hire real genius’s apple will be their own advertisement for staying away from them and going with another brand. To stay in the current times. Shame, shame!! Apple, what shame side note there is also a glitch when you are taking a pic or video and you try and share thru message it won’t brings up a black screen. Once again I have done shut down resets and been on the phone over 8 hrs. Also this is a new phone and has been updated so no it’s no the phone. ********
<Edited by Host>

iOS 11 not sending video messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.