Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can i delete my Mobile applications folder

Hi there.

Now we can no longer manage the apps on our iDevices via iTunes, is there any reason to keep the 28gb of apps sat in a "Mobile applications" folder within my "iTunes Media" folder?

Posted on Sep 21, 2017 3:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2017 4:32 PM

Yes. You can choose to archive it somewhere else first if you are so inclined, but there is no real need to keep it. Apps will be restored directly from the App Store over Wi-Fi as and when you need to restore a backup. iOS 11 will not run 32-bit apps, so any of those that you have won't be worth hanging on to if you've upgraded. It is still possible to manually add an app that isn't in the store any longer if you have a backup copy of the .ipa file, but there will be no way to get new or updated versions of those applications. If an app you like is withdrawn from the store then so be it.

tt2

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2017 4:32 PM in response to thisisian

Yes. You can choose to archive it somewhere else first if you are so inclined, but there is no real need to keep it. Apps will be restored directly from the App Store over Wi-Fi as and when you need to restore a backup. iOS 11 will not run 32-bit apps, so any of those that you have won't be worth hanging on to if you've upgraded. It is still possible to manually add an app that isn't in the store any longer if you have a backup copy of the .ipa file, but there will be no way to get new or updated versions of those applications. If an app you like is withdrawn from the store then so be it.

tt2

Can i delete my Mobile applications folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.