You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS disables flashlight when battery is low

I have an iPhone 6, with iOS 11 on it. I just found out last night that when the battery drops below 20 percent, the flashlight is disabled. I find this very annoying. Having 1/5th of my battery left is no reason to start disabling things, especially when people use their flashlight when they go to bed (I don't want to wake up my wife by switching on the light) and 9 out of 10 times, battery is low around that time of day. Last night, I found myself opening the notes app for light... It's like it's 2009 all over again and I need to download a 'flashlight' app that makes my screen go bright (which will drain the battery even faster).

But what I really find terribly condescending is that as far as I know, you cannot switch this 'feature' off. It feels really patronizing when Apple seems to decide when I can and can't use my torch even though I've been using it for many years successfully... Many of us are not kids that need their hand held when deciding how to spend the last bit of their battery.

So, my question is: can you please remove this feature, or at least give us the option to switch it on or off?

iPhone 6, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 22, 2017 12:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2017 5:47 PM

I am beyond frustrated with this new feature. I put a flashlight app on my phone like it was 2008 and even that won’t work on my iPhone 6. DONT EVER DISABLE MY FLASHLIGHT. It could literally cost me my life. I can’t tell u how many times I have been at 2% and used the flashlight to find my charger or the outlet! Your battery life already ***** but now your telling me one of the most important features on my iPhone has a 15% less length of use because you want to help drain it slower? I can figure that out myself thank you! This needs to be fixed or this iPhone owner since the 1st iPhone will switch to the galaxy. FIX THE PROBLEM NOW PLEASES 11.0.1 hurry up!!

57 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 25, 2017 5:47 PM in response to rempedaal

I am beyond frustrated with this new feature. I put a flashlight app on my phone like it was 2008 and even that won’t work on my iPhone 6. DONT EVER DISABLE MY FLASHLIGHT. It could literally cost me my life. I can’t tell u how many times I have been at 2% and used the flashlight to find my charger or the outlet! Your battery life already ***** but now your telling me one of the most important features on my iPhone has a 15% less length of use because you want to help drain it slower? I can figure that out myself thank you! This needs to be fixed or this iPhone owner since the 1st iPhone will switch to the galaxy. FIX THE PROBLEM NOW PLEASES 11.0.1 hurry up!!

Oct 10, 2017 10:20 AM in response to rempedaal

Any of you simply ranting are in violation on the Apple Support Communities Use Agreement. You can read what you agreed to here:

Apple Support Communities Use Agreement

Note the following: Post constructive comments and questions. Unless otherwise noted, your Submission should either be a technical support question or a technical support answer. Constructive feedback about product features is welcome as well. If your Submission contains the phrase "I'm sorry for the rant, but…" you are likely in violation of this policy.

Apple will not read any of this so the only way to let them know of your frustration is to use Product Feedback - Apple. And lastly, is this seriously that big of an issue for people? First world problems. Hurricanes, earthquakes, fires, floods but my flashlight doesn't work. Buy a small LED flashlight from Walmart for $1. But be sure to keep extra batteries on hand as they'll probably start to go dim when the battery reaches 15%.

Oct 20, 2017 8:19 PM in response to lmusielak

Since you edited your post I'll edit mine.

If it's a concern regarding the flashlight, make sure you keep the phone charged enough or keep a standard flashlight around. These are two perfectly reasonable solutions to the issue at hand. If you want it changed this forum isn’t the place to complain. This is a place for questions and offers of solutions only. If you'd like to see it changed then you need to offer feedback in the appropriate way. Product Feedback - Apple

In regards to my life, my career, and my family I have already found great meaning and fulfillment. Thanks for wishing me luck though.

Sep 26, 2017 6:24 AM in response to rempedaal

Hey Apple, how does this sound. "IOS 11 now gives your flashlight 85% battery life" NO. I need the flashlight to work 100% of the time. Please fix this. I do not need you to disable anything on my phone without the option of un-disabling it. This is very frustrating and makes me wish I did not update my phone. This is the worst "feature" that you could have ever thought of. Horrible idea. Please give me the light back and do not disable this feature ever!

Oct 10, 2017 2:32 AM in response to Vickzteer

In iOS 11.0 it had nothing to do with low power mode, that was the first thing I checked because that was how it used to work in older versions of iOS. In iOS 11.0, it would simply disable the flashlight below a certain percentage regardless of which power mode you were using. However, since updating to 11.0.2, it seems to be working normally again, I could use my flashlight last night when my battery was down to 13%. I haven't checked what happens below 10%, so it could be that it's still disabled then.

Oct 10, 2017 1:10 PM in response to anypats

Let's address this part of your message. "First world problems. Hurricanes, earthquakes, fires, floods but my flashlight doesn't work. Buy a small LED flashlight from Walmart for $1. But be sure to keep extra batteries on hand as they'll probably start to go dim when the battery reaches 15%."

1: To me, that seems ironic, as you seem to frequent a forum designed for people to talk about problems with their first world gadgets.

2: let's draw a comparison. You buy an electric drill with a battery that lasts 10 hours. Then they update the software of the drill. And for no apparent reason (same drill, same battery) you suddenly get a drill that quits after 8.5 hours. Everybody would be angry, because it's just the software that's causing it.

3: sure, granted, there are worse things in the world. There are always worse things in the world. But using that as a reason to not want to improve something is a prime example of a logical fallacy; in fact, saying that something is not a problem because there are other worse problems is actually used in textbooks when explaining logical fallacies.

4: you complain about rants, only to follow it up with a rant of your own. If you really want people to change their ways, do you think that that is an effective way to do it? Wouldn't you agree that it would be better to say, similar to the first guy who responded, something like this: "Hey, for those who are complaining here, apple actually only listens to the Product Feedback form, so please direct your complaints there, unless you have a specific question for other users. I don't know of any way to disable this feature, but if I hear about anything, I'll let you guys know." People would respect that a lot more.

Then with regards to your reference to the Use Agreement; if you read the beginning of the thread, you can see that I apologized for my first post right after somebody pointed out that this is not a place for feedback directly to Apple, and then I rephrased my question to check whether anybody had found out how to disable the feature.

Oct 10, 2017 1:23 PM in response to rempedaal

While I sent the reply to you I did see that you rephrased your question. I really wasn’t directing this at you. It was more the people that were complaining after it was already said how to get help by sending feedback. I apologize that I sent the reply directed at you but I didn’t want to send to anyone in particular - just was replying to the main post. Also replying to buy a flashlight isn’t a rant just a suggestion when they’re so cheap if having a flashlight nearby so important.

Oct 10, 2017 2:11 PM in response to anypats

No worries, apology accepted anypats, as long as our intentions are to help each other, only good can come out of this thread 😉 Like I said, I think the problem might have actually been solved, it seems that iOS 11.0.2 has fixed the problem, though I haven’t gone below 13% battery yet, I’ll update if it turns out it’s still disabled below 10%.

Oct 12, 2017 7:14 AM in response to rempedaal

I totally agree with this post. What is Apple thinking?! In one foul stroke I have had my access to two very important safety features severely limited. Torch on my phone is a covenience most of the time, and in an emergency I believe it could save lives by acting as a means of identifying location or escaping from a dark space. Imagine for instance the number of people who might be affected if a night time earthquake strikes and the most immediate source of light, an iphone, now refuses to light up because its battery says no... Camera flash could be the deciding factor in capturing an important image of a criminal or a night time accident scene. I have had to use my phone in just such a situation. At lwadt allow us to decide whether we opt in or out of switching off the torch or flash.

Oct 14, 2017 9:30 PM in response to rempedaal

Right now I'm working with a senior advisor about this issue on my 6 plus. So far we haven't figured anything out. On iOS 11.0-11.0.2 anything below 20% I couldn't use it now on 11.0.3 it works at 15% but 14% and lower I can’t use my flashlight. He ran diagnostics and some other tests and sent them all to the engineering department when I get more info I will follow up

Oct 17, 2017 5:29 PM in response to rempedaal

I agree I recently was in my car driving home from work late at night. I was in my grandmothers car which I had never driven in before. I didnt know that the headlights where automatic and I couldn’t see anything. I pulled over and tried to use my phone to see anything and I wasn’t able to see anything because I couldn’t use my flashlight to locate anything in the car. I wasn’t even able to see where to turn the car lights on! I was a horrible experience and I am still shaken up especially as a new driver. It would benefit many people like me if this feature was disabled or at least if we were given the option to disable it ourselves. It has come to make my life very difficult. I think apple would care that their devices had multipurposes and I’m sure they will try to fix their problems to please their customers, they always have in the past. I really like this company and all their products and I hope they make this change.

Oct 19, 2017 2:28 AM in response to rempedaal

I hate this 'feature' so much too! Every single night when I go to bed, the lights are out and I want to put my phone on charge.

Normally at night time my phone is on low battery from the day, but because the lights are out, I need the flashlight to find my charger... which requires that the phone isn't on low battery.

This thinking seems very un-apple-like. The reason I love Apple is that they think through everything they do and everything works exactly how you'd expect. Except for this one pain-in-my-arse-every-single-night.

iOS disables flashlight when battery is low

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.