Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 11 - Dock... Why does an App icon keeps appearing?

iPad Pro 10.5 / iOS 11

an icon for one specific APP keeps appearing on right hand side in the (annoying) dock, the icon also has a tiny alarm clock on it.

General >Multitasking&Dock>Show Suggested and Recent Apps.... is set to off.

General > Handoff.... is set to off.

Handoff is not enabled on any other device.

Posted on Sep 22, 2017 3:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2017 11:36 PM

I’m seeing this issue as well, and I’m finding it to be very irritating, as I‘m also seeing that when the icon with the alarm clock (for me it’s ibooks) appears, it starts rotating on and off with another icon in the iPad doc, so one moment it’s one icon, then the iBooks icon with the alarm clock, then the other icon, etc. I’ve read that it’s Siri recommending an app based on time of day, but I also don’t see how to turn it off, again as it’s so irritating. I also have those same settings as you disabled, yet it persists for me as well. Hopefully a bug? Bug reporting: Product Feedback - Apple

This is what it looks like for me:

User uploaded file

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2017 11:36 PM in response to mariotheplumber

I’m seeing this issue as well, and I’m finding it to be very irritating, as I‘m also seeing that when the icon with the alarm clock (for me it’s ibooks) appears, it starts rotating on and off with another icon in the iPad doc, so one moment it’s one icon, then the iBooks icon with the alarm clock, then the other icon, etc. I’ve read that it’s Siri recommending an app based on time of day, but I also don’t see how to turn it off, again as it’s so irritating. I also have those same settings as you disabled, yet it persists for me as well. Hopefully a bug? Bug reporting: Product Feedback - Apple

This is what it looks like for me:

User uploaded file

Sep 22, 2017 6:18 AM in response to Diana.McCall

Hello, thanks for reply.

• No alarms set anywhere.
  • The App icon is for TunnelBear App. It's appearing on a daily basis - then after a while just disappears all by itself.
  • Enabling recent Apps? - Please could you explain what you refer to?

"so who knows what magic Apple has included"... OR, what totally utterly useless features. They have certainly taken many backward steps with the UI and usability.

Sep 22, 2017 6:32 AM in response to mariotheplumber

I see. You implied that it was an unknown app. Are you running TunnelBear? Is it maybe some sort of popup, nagging you to use the VPN for more security? Hard to say why it appears.

By "recent apps", I meant the Show Suggested and Recent Apps setting that you said you turned off.

Sorry you don't like the new look. Certainly takes some getting used to. But not much we can do as users. Fretting about designed-in useability changes won't have any effect.

Sep 24, 2017 2:25 AM in response to Diana.McCall

Sorry, maybe should have explained more clearly.

Yesterday & today the icon no longer appears - no idea what changed, I've changed nothing.

Disagree there's not much you can do - voice your opinion. Personally I'm too old to have to keep re-learning something just because some bright spark thinks something is "cool". These days, most of the "super duper, sic" features, just go to reinforce my view, I can live without them. Once an Apple devote, now a frustrated user.

On early releases of any Apple software, even as an Apple newbie, I rarely reached for the user manual or turned to the internet for help - they were just intuitive & simple to use. These days, with almost every update, I end up resorting to spending time researching how to do things. Example... iOS 11 -how to get out of split screen in Safari - dead easy, intuitive, right!?

Fretting - No. Frustrated.... and then some.

Sep 26, 2017 11:31 PM in response to tewill3

Feel your frustration, as you state “irritating”.

Did you also check in the App?...“Siri and Suggestions” is set to off.

I ignored the icon and App for 2 days & it has stopped appearing. So can only assume its some bug, or as Apple would say “undocumented feature”.

iOS 11 seems to have fewer bugs than previous releases. However, it certainly has plenty more irritating or totally useless features.

Sep 27, 2017 6:56 AM in response to mariotheplumber

Hi. Apparently, the concept is that the right hand side of the dock is for apps suggested by Siri. These may be

- recently used apps

- apps frequently used at this time of day (clock badge)

- apps frequently used at this location (location arrow badge)

You can turn off the recent apps and the location suggestions. I don't know how to turn off the time suggestions. But they're no harmful, since they don't actually do anything; they're just suggestions. They make it easier to open the

app by adding it to the dock. This does not appear to be documented anywhere.

Oct 18, 2017 11:07 AM in response to mariotheplumber

I have this issue as well and have turned off everything I can find in settings just to get the clock badge to go away. For me it is the TV app the is already in my dock. Some days it magically appears on the right side with clock badge, some days it doesn’t. The worst part is that hitting the badge or the app tells me nothing at all. I get no reason that apple has decided I show pay extra attention to this app that I rarely use or nothing to tell me how to shut it off.

Including features then making customers have to guess what is there and how they work is not a very good business model. The old KISS (keep it simple stupid) model never goes out of style.

Oct 18, 2017 1:52 PM in response to Saw2814

Agree - I’m soooooooooooooo tired of relearning or figuring out how to do stuff.

The following seems to have worked for me, in that I haven’t been plagued by the **** icons for a couple of weeks now...

General - Restrictions - turn on Siri & Dictation > go back to back to settings & Siri and Search > ensure the App in question is set to off > General - Restrictions > turn off Siri and Dictation. If it does reappear, just ignore the Badge/Icon for 2 days.

Hope it helps.

Dec 2, 2017 6:43 AM in response to mariotheplumber

I‘m not sure how long it will last, but here is what I did in addition to setting the Show Suggested and Recent to Off:

From the Home screen, swipe right to bring up the Widgets page.

Scroll to the bottom and select “Edit”

Remove ”Siri App Suggestions” from your widgets

So far, this has worked for me. Haven’t had any apps show up on the right side of the Dock for over a week now.

Hope this helps!

iOS 11 - Dock... Why does an App icon keeps appearing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.