Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.7 - Folder: Mobile Applications still there - Delete?

Since the removal of the App-Store functionality in iTunes (it was my preferred way to browse and select apps....) the now useless folder "Mobile Applications" is still there and consuming in my case more than 30 GB!
Can I delete this folder?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Sep 22, 2017 1:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2017 3:02 AM

It's your choice (you could copy it to a backup drive first). You can still add apps to a device by dragging-and-dropping an app from Finder onto the device in iTunes - that is potentially useful if an app is removed from the store and therefore can't be redownloaded, or if you want to use an older version of an app on a device.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2017 3:02 AM in response to swiss_user

It's your choice (you could copy it to a backup drive first). You can still add apps to a device by dragging-and-dropping an app from Finder onto the device in iTunes - that is potentially useful if an app is removed from the store and therefore can't be redownloaded, or if you want to use an older version of an app on a device.

Sep 27, 2017 6:42 AM in response to idontknowwhoiamsowhat

I doubt Apple would add in a routine to clear out the old Mobile Applications folder. I've backed mine up elsewhere, but I really don't expect to use it other than for testing. Unless you think you've got gems in there that you'll still want if the developer pulls them from the store then you really don't need to keep the old copies.

tt2

Sep 27, 2017 7:59 AM in response to idontknowwhoiamsowhat

Yep. 😉

Personally I'm all in on iOS 11, and while there is an iPhone 3G and an iPad 2 in the household I'm not planning to revisit the past. Obviously you're going to want to keep anything that has a working subscription, or that you find useful. I'm still using a TomTomOne with maps that are probably 10 years out of date. 😊

tt2

Oct 1, 2017 8:35 AM in response to King_Penguin

Actually I will recommend against deleting that folder. After I deleted mine, iTunes got all funky and started moving songs I play into iTunes Media folder root as opposed to iTunes Media/Music folder. It's really weird I know but apparently deleting Mobile Applications folder without properly removing references to it can mess with how iTunes works.

iTunes 12.7 - Folder: Mobile Applications still there - Delete?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.