Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is iOS 11 draining my battery?

Why since installing iOS 11 is my battery life compromised?

iPhone 7, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 22, 2017 4:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2017 9:41 AM

I am having the same issue. My iPhone 7 Plus used to go all day before it even came close to reaching 70% on the battery. Now, only after a couple of hours my iPhone will drain down to 70% or lower! I never had this issue until updating to iOS 11. I have tried all the tips to prevent battery drain but to no avail. What the heck is going on?! I had a iPhone that could stay charged a day and a half, now I have an iPhone that is lucky to last half day.

61 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2017 9:41 AM in response to Cjmuir12

I am having the same issue. My iPhone 7 Plus used to go all day before it even came close to reaching 70% on the battery. Now, only after a couple of hours my iPhone will drain down to 70% or lower! I never had this issue until updating to iOS 11. I have tried all the tips to prevent battery drain but to no avail. What the heck is going on?! I had a iPhone that could stay charged a day and a half, now I have an iPhone that is lucky to last half day.

Sep 24, 2017 4:46 AM in response to Cjmuir12

I am having similar problem in my iphone 7 plus. Ever since i updated to ios 11, standby time on my phone is worse. Just using social media drains battery significantly. Turning off background app refresh and location doesnot even help. Am using low power mode from 100%. What the heck? It was not case on ios 10.3. I am compleregretting the update.

Sep 24, 2017 10:19 AM in response to Cjmuir12

I have an iPhone 5S. Since updating to iOS 11 I am also having rapid battery drain issues on my 5S. I can literally watch it decrease by 1% every couple of minutes, even when it is not in use. I have checked Battery Usage and there is nothing that would explain it there. I'm hoping that Apple will be coming out with a fix soon.

Sep 24, 2017 1:11 PM in response to Avishek sharma

My battery drain lasted for about 3 days, with phone attached to charger for 50% of those 3 days. Now it has been 5 days since the upgrade and the battery is behaving like it did before the upgrade. This leads me to believe the drain was a result of iOS11 having to upgrade or change my files (data) to properly function with iOS11. My phone is a 7 and was 100% charged when I took it out of the charger at 6am today (Sunday). It is 3pm now and I have 95% battery left after using the phone to read the newspaper and email today. Some of my custom ringtones are not working with incoming calls, but everything else seems to be functioning Correctly.

Sep 26, 2017 10:24 AM in response to Cjmuir12

I think I found a solution to my battery drain. Things were getting so bad with the battery drain on my iPhone 7 Plus I decided to down grade to iOS 10.3.3 I successfully re-installed 10.3.3, but realized I didn't have a recent backup of my iPhone running 10.3.3 This meant re-installing apps ect. I did not want to go through all of that. So I decided I would just deal with the battery drain issue caused by iOS 11. I reinstalled iOS 11 and I did have a recent backup of my iPhone with iOS 11. So after re-installing iOS 11, I restored my iPhone data from the backup. Ever since re-installing iOS 11 my battery drain issue has gotten much better. Not sure if this will help with others experiencing the battery drain issue, but with a little dumb luck it helped with mine.

Sep 29, 2017 7:06 PM in response to Cjmuir12

I updated our two iPhone 7 devices to iOS 11 on September 20 and immediately noticed significantly reduced battery life. I understand that initial battery usage may be less than normal as the new OS indexes the content of the phone. So I allowed 5 days for that to be completed. But I saw no improvement.

Just before going to bed on September 24, I charged my phone to 100%. Background Refresh was off, Location Services for all apps was set to While Using, all apps were stopped, and Do Not Disturb was on. For all intents and purposes, the phone should have been idle all night. Yet when I woke up the next morning, the battery level was 88%.

That afternoon, September 25, I converted back to iOS 10.3.3 and charged my phone to 100% before going to bed that night. All settings were the same as the night before. When I woke up the next morning, the battery was still at 100%. And after a bit of use and 1.5 hours of playing music at the gym while in Airplane Mode, the battery was only down to 94%.

Since the only difference was iOS 10.3.3 versus iOS 11, the problem clearly is with the operating system and not the hardware.

On the other hand, I’m not seeing a noticeable impact from iOS 11 on battery life on our iPad Air and iPad Air2. There may be some degree of greater battery use, but certainly nothing like what we're seeing on the iPhones.

My guess is that it has something to do with the face recognition feature that's coming on the iPhone X. I suspect that the front facing camera, motion sensors, etc are now always on, at least for the iPhones. Since there are no current plans for an iPad with face recognition, it is possible that the iOS 11 code makes an exception for them.

On the other hand, both iPads are in Apple Smart cases. So the iPads are off whenever they’re not in use. Presumably that also deactivates the front facing camera and the various sensors when the iPads are not being used.

If I'm right, what's needed is for iOS 11 to handle the always on needs for the iPhone X and any future devices that use facial recognition differently than for the devices that don’t.

As things currently stand, I’ll stick with iOS 10.3.3. I won’t upgrade to iOS 11 until either there’s a fix for the battery issue or a major security exposure surfaces that requires iOS 11 to close.

Why is iOS 11 draining my battery?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.