Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

activate iPhone without sim card

I was using an iPhone with provided sim card, but I have lost it and was using iPhone without sim card. When I updated iOS to 11, the phone is asking for activation which needs a valid sim card. I was in carrier's support center, they told me these phones aren't blocking anymore. However, It is not accepting any sim card. I have tried all operators in my area. None of them is working. What can I do with it? Should I forget about this phone?!

Posted on Sep 22, 2017 4:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2017 11:19 PM

You can activate it using another iPhone with iOS 11. However, it will be like an iPod if you don't have valid sim card. I solved the problem. I am texting you the result.

9 replies

Sep 23, 2017 8:57 AM in response to Jokerxodjo

Hello Jokerxodjo,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Community. I understand you have had some trouble activating with the sim card in your iPhone, and I have some information that may help.

Have a look at the article below for some helpful information on unlocking your phone from its original carrier.

How to unlock your iPhone - Apple Support

If you run into any trouble, please reach out again.
​Best Regards.

Sep 23, 2017 10:33 PM in response to Jokerxodjo

It is possible to use an iPhone without a SIM, if you are not using it with cellular service. However, once you update the iOS on the phone, it requires activation again. Activation requires a SIM, even if the device is not using active cellular service. It does not have to be an active SIM, however if the iPhone is locked to a provider, it has to be a SIM from that provider. Given the limited information that you provided in your original post, it seems you may be seeing an error on the screen that the SIM is not supported. If that is the case, then you are going to have to find out what carrier that phone is locked to, and then either get a SIM from that provider, or see if the provide unlocking services as suggested by the other poster. Without that, you will not be able to activate the phone.

Sep 25, 2017 8:00 AM in response to Jokerxodjo

As I indicated earlier, the only way to get a phone unlocked is by the carrier that holds the lock. If you contacted the carrier and they refuse to unlock it, that is their decision.

The information provided is not useless, it just seems you are stuck because the carrier will not unlock the device. This is not a decision by Apple, and Apple cannot assist you with this. If you purchase a phone that is locked to a carrier, you have to comply with their rules to get the phone unlocked.

activate iPhone without sim card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.