Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 11 on iPhone 6 - Continual Network Activity, and unexpected Cellular data activity

Hello, I installed the iOS 11 update yesterday upon my iPhone 6, and have since then noticed 3 issues related to the WiFi/Cellular connection. I think I may have addressed the first 2 of them, but the 3rd, could be a hardware issue with my phone - so would be useful to know if others have/are experiencing it.

1. WiFi - "No internet Connection"

Worryingly, today I noticed a periodic "No internet connection" message upon the Wi-Fi settings screen for each of my Wireless AP's. Also, I saw that I had an unexpected amount of Cellular data activity since yesterday.

I re-initialised each WiFi connection, by using "Forget connection" followed by reselecting and keying in the WiFi password again. This appears to have for now, resolved the "No internet connection" issue, but I still had the continuous Network activity issue.

2. Network Activity icon continuously in motion

With Cellular switched off, the Network activity icon on the status bar, is continually rotating, though my Router didn't show a continuous amount of activity originating from the iPhone - just periodically showing up to 54Kbps outgoing from it. This is also, whilst no applications were apparently running on the iPhone, and I also have have Background app refresh option switched off. I also Turned off Locations Services - but to no effect.

With Wi-Fi turned off, and Cellular data reenabled, I reset the Statistics hoping to catch what may be causing the continuous data though didn't see any activity being reported, even though the Network Activity indicator was still spinning. So, I set to the "Off state", all the apps shown under the Cellular data settings screen, then rebooted the iPhone. The Continuous Network activity disappeared, so one, by one, I reenabled them, and still the Network activity icon didn't appear. So for now, this issue looks to be some sort of corrupt setting issue and hopefully won't resurface to chew into my Monthly data allowance.

3. Cellular Data toggle - delayed reaction

Finally, on the Cellular Settings screen, pressing the On/Off Cellular Data toggle does nothing for about 3-4 seconds. I suspect this could just be my phone, though the same issue hasn't happened with prior iOS versions.

iPhone 6s, iOS 10.3.1

Posted on Sep 22, 2017 6:35 AM

3 replies

Oct 4, 2017 5:59 AM in response to svaardt

I updated to 11.0.1 and then against today to 11.0.2, and still the "Cellular Data toggle - delayed reaction" issue exists.

It's a bit disappointing to experience what looks like a testing quality issue coming from Apple. Particularly, as when an update is shown as being available, we have to update to it, otherwise battery drain suddenly increases ( which seems to be a new ploy by Apple to enforce updates ?)

I'm also, becoming a bit curious over the increased System Services data usage, for example "iTunes Accounts" appears to be using the most data, even though I have iTunes disabled, likewise "Game Center", when I even have no games running - admittedly the amounts are small, but then so too has been the monitoring period (1 hour, mostly on WiFi).

And, the WiFi connection appears to be less stable, even when I'm sitting next to my Wireless router. (Something that hadn't happened with prior versions).

I hope Apple can review their testing strategies - they're not exemplary of being the best in the World with this release.

Oct 4, 2017 6:54 AM in response to svaardt

Concerning your 2nd dot:

I have the same issue. I restarted the phone and it seams to be solved.

But what I found out in the meantime is, that I have heavy bachground activity of "Mails" (synchronization I can understand) but also of "Settings" (twice as much as foreground activity) and that's what I don't undestand. Syncronization/ backup with iCloud etc. is switched off.

Do you have a clue what caused the settings background activity???

iOS 11 on iPhone 6 - Continual Network Activity, and unexpected Cellular data activity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.