Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music app keeps crashing after iOS 11 update

As said in the title, the music app on my iPhone 7 keeps crashing after the recent iOS 11 update. On some occasions when I open the app it functions properly but after a few seconds it crashes and exits the app. And on other occasions, it immediately crashes as I open the app. I have tried rebooting the device countless of times and it still won't work.

iPhone 7, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 22, 2017 7:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2017 12:15 PM

Hi a1rwan,

Thanks for visiting Apple Support Communities.

It looks like the Music app is quitting unexpectedly on your iPhone 7, and you've already tried restarting the device. Let's try a few more troubleshooting steps.

I'd recommend removing the Music app and then downloading it again from the App Store. Note that removing the app will also remove music you've downloaded or synced to your iPhone.

Here's how to remove the Music app:

Remove built-in Apple apps from the Home screen on your iOS 10 device or Apple Watch - Apple Support

Remove a built-in app from your Home screen

1. On your iOS device, touch and hold the app lightly until it jiggles. If the app doesn't jiggle, make sure that you're not pressing too hard.
  2. Tap User uploaded file on the app, then tap Remove.
  3. Press the Home button to finish.
After the Music app is removed, restart your iPhone once again. After it restarts, follow these steps:

Restore a built-in app that you removed

1. On your iOS device, go to the App Store.
  2. Search for the app. Make sure that you use the exact name of the app. Find the correct name of built-in apps.
  3. Tap User uploaded file to restore the app.
  4. Wait for the app to restore, then open it from your Home screen.
Let us know how this process goes and if the Music app is working normally again.

Best Regards.
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2017 12:15 PM in response to a1rwan

Hi a1rwan,

Thanks for visiting Apple Support Communities.

It looks like the Music app is quitting unexpectedly on your iPhone 7, and you've already tried restarting the device. Let's try a few more troubleshooting steps.

I'd recommend removing the Music app and then downloading it again from the App Store. Note that removing the app will also remove music you've downloaded or synced to your iPhone.

Here's how to remove the Music app:

Remove built-in Apple apps from the Home screen on your iOS 10 device or Apple Watch - Apple Support

Remove a built-in app from your Home screen

1. On your iOS device, touch and hold the app lightly until it jiggles. If the app doesn't jiggle, make sure that you're not pressing too hard.
  2. Tap User uploaded file on the app, then tap Remove.
  3. Press the Home button to finish.
After the Music app is removed, restart your iPhone once again. After it restarts, follow these steps:

Restore a built-in app that you removed

1. On your iOS device, go to the App Store.
  2. Search for the app. Make sure that you use the exact name of the app. Find the correct name of built-in apps.
  3. Tap User uploaded file to restore the app.
  4. Wait for the app to restore, then open it from your Home screen.
Let us know how this process goes and if the Music app is working normally again.

Best Regards.

Sep 23, 2017 12:42 PM in response to sterling r

This keeps happening to me too however it’s not just the music app. All apps crash at some point. My phone freezes at least 3 times every day and I have to fully reboot it to get it working again. I have restored it and re installed apps but it’s still occurring. It’s like my phone doesn’t enough memory. I have an iPhone 6s and this is happened since I installed iOS 11. It’s very infuriating 😡.

Sep 23, 2017 7:20 PM in response to sterling r

being reported in several other threads now. music app (namely the lock screen widget, control center widget, and bluetooth data transmission) is crashing after any and all resets/restarts/restores. this is the one constant: once the music app WIDGETS crash, you can simply reopen the music app (albeit without the use of the widgets) and the rest of the phone works fine.

Oct 3, 2017 10:28 PM in response to lazmontenegro

I have had as much of a frustrating time as you, I've tried literally everything. Even to th epoint of restoring it to a back up. I think i have solved the issue though. I signed out of iCloud and opened the Music app, told me about the "3 Months Free" offer, hit "Not Now." Then, sign in to Apple Music, your music won't be there for the moment but if you close the app and open it up again, go to Playlists and it'll load up your playlists and then all your other music will be back by the time the Playlists have loaded. Hope this helps. Not sure if its a permanent fix but it seems to be working fine so far.

Music app keeps crashing after iOS 11 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.