Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SOLVED – Missing Web Page Icons in BookMarks After Safari 11 Update OSX El Cap 10.11.6

I recently posted here and here about problems restoring Web Page Icons in Bookmarks after a Safari “Reset” (Clear Cache & Clear All History) — following the Safari 11 update install.

Prior to the Safari 11 update, Web Page Icons were easily restored in Bookmarks by replacing the Webpageicons.db file in ~/Library/Safari with a previously stored, recent copy of the Webpageicons.db file, and by also deleting the Webpageicons.db-shm and Webpageicons.db-wal files also located in the ~/Library/Safari folder. Relaunching Safari after this would always restore the Web Page Icons in Bookmarks.

Safari 11 apparently no longer generates Webpageicons.db-shm and Webpageicons.db-wal files in the ~/Library/Safari folder so the old workaround no longer works.

The following workaround should however, restore the Web Page Icons in your Bookmarks list after the aforementioned Safari “Reset” makes them “disappear”.

The Webpageicons.db file in ~/Library/Safari no longer needs to be replaced with a recent copy and again, there are no longer Webpageicons.db-shm and Webpageicons.db-wal files to delete.

Instead, following a Safari “reset”, quit Safari. Then:

1) Inside the ~/Library/Safari folder, find the Favicon Cache folder. Open the Favicon Cache folder.

2) Delete the following files:

favicons.db

favicons.db-lock

favicons.db-shm

favicons.db-wal

DO NOT DELETE THE FAVICONS FOLDER

The four deleted files will be regenerated when you re-launch Safari 11 and after relaunch, your Web Page Icons should display throughout your entire Bookmarks List in Safari 11.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Sep 22, 2017 7:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2017 11:18 AM

Quick Update: Safari 11 now appears to be generating Webpageicons.db-shm and Webpageicons.db-wal files in the ~/Library/Safari folder, but deleting them following after a Safari “Reset” (Clear Cache & Clear All History) has no effect on restoring the Web Page Icons in Bookmarks.

After the Safari "reset" -- quit Safari, delete the Favicon files listed above, and relaunch Safari. This restores the Web Page Icons every time.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2017 11:18 AM in response to KiteSurfer

Quick Update: Safari 11 now appears to be generating Webpageicons.db-shm and Webpageicons.db-wal files in the ~/Library/Safari folder, but deleting them following after a Safari “Reset” (Clear Cache & Clear All History) has no effect on restoring the Web Page Icons in Bookmarks.

After the Safari "reset" -- quit Safari, delete the Favicon files listed above, and relaunch Safari. This restores the Web Page Icons every time.

Dec 15, 2017 10:41 PM in response to KiteSurfer

I still don't quite understand how this helps. I clear the cache often for work related endeavors as well as history. Each time I do this and close Safari or restart my computer, all bookmark favicons are reset. I still don't get why Safari is the only browser that does this. I also use Chrome, Firefox, and IE for work related testing. Can anyone explain this?

Jan 22, 2018 4:13 PM in response to jmil709

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library/Safari/Favicon Cache.

Feb 16, 2018 7:14 AM in response to KiteSurfer

Greetings Friends -- sorry for the long delay but my Macbook Pro (early 2011) failed due to the well-documented defective ATI|Radeon graphic chip failures that have plagued tens of thousands of Macbook Pro owners. I've cobbled together a temporary laptop solution while the Macbook Pro problems and Apple's failure to address those problems with any integrity, are being sorted out. In the meantime, I've been experimenting with this Web Page Icon issue on another laptop running El Cap while Safari has gone through an additional upgrade over the last few weeks.

My prior solution, though able to restore the older Web Page Icons established prior to the first Safari update – did not restore the newer web page icons visited after the first Safari update. Also, after the second Safari update, it appeared that the Webpageicons.db file may have been moved into the ~/Library/Safari/Favicon Cache folder.

Here's what worked for me:

Move the Webpageicons.db file and it's supporting Webpageicons.db-shm and Webpageicons.db-wal files back into the ~/Library/Safari folder (if it's not already there). Now, BEFORE "resetting" Safari, i.e., "Emptying Caches" and "Clearing History", first do the following:

1) Quit Safari

2) Copy the following to a folder on your desktop or wherever you prefer to store them:

~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist

~/Library/Safari/Webpageicons.db

~/Library/Safari/Favicon Cache/favicons (folder)

~/Library/Safari/Favicon Cache/favicon.db

3) Launch Safari and Empty Caches (Develop Menu should be enabled so you can access this command), and then, Clear History.

4) Quit Safari

5) Put the following folders in the trash:

~/Library/Safari/Favicon Cache/favicon.db-lock

~/Library/Safari/Favicon Cache/favicon.db-shm

~/Library/Safari/Favicon Cache/favicon.db-wal

6a) Copy the following files from step 2 back into their original locations, making sure you instruct the Apple pop-up to "Replace Existing File"

6b) Copy the following files from step 2 back into their original locations, making sure you instruct the Apple pop-up to "Replace Existing File"

Steps 2, 5, 6a and 6b can be easily automated with Automator-built Apps. I've separated steps 6a and 6b because they each need a separate app (due to Automator's architecture) even though they perform identical functions.

Step 2 applet would be one App

Step 5, 6a and 6b applets can be grouped together to run as a single applet.

What you end up with is one applet to "export" the files in step 2, and a second applet that restores all your Web Page Icons from Applets 5, 6a, and 6b.

I run this process at least once every day. It takes less than ten seconds and restores ALL my Web Page Icons every time! Good luck one and all!

Feb 23, 2018 6:27 AM in response to jhull515

Greetings jhull5151 – Sorry to hear you're having difficulties. Some food for thought... the (relatively) recent updates to both OS X (beginning with Yosemite) and Safari, appear to affect this particular issue. The recent updates to Safari in particular, seem to affect this issue. I mention this because it would appear that you're running OS X Sierra 10.12.6. You're also running an older version of Safari (11.0.2) which has been updated to 11.0.3. Take note that the solution above, as noted in its Subject Line/Title was developed for OS X 10.11 El Capitan. It was not tested for OS X Sierra. In either case, it would probably be wise to update to Safari 11.0.3.

That said, if you've performed the steps exactly as written in the exact sequence written, then returning the copied files from step 2 back to their original locations (replacing current files) should restore your web icons to exactly where they were prior to emptying your cache and clearing history. This has been tested and proven multiple times on different computers running El Cap and Safari 11.0.3. But I honestly cannot speculate on how this would work for OS X Sierra.

Bottom line, if, BEFORE you emptied caches and cleared history, you've made copies of:

...then you've got all your bookmarks and web icon data intact. You just have to figure out how to redeploy those files to their original locations and eliminate their related -wal, -shm, and lock files to make the solution work for OS X 10.12 Sierra. Hope that sheds some light. Best of luck!

Feb 25, 2018 10:27 AM in response to KiteSurfer

I am running High Sierra 10.13.3 and Safari 11.0.3

If you go to the Progressive On Line Servicing Site (see below)

https://account.progressive.com/access/login?fd=AuthKeyClaimService&cntgrp=A&ses sion_start=true

The favicon does not display, following your instructions above.

It did once upon a time. Then I installed a Safari Extension . "Mail Counter for Gmail" from the Safari Extensions Drop down

Then it stopped working

I have deleted the extension

Reset Safari cache history

deleted the web page

shut down safari

shut and restarted mac

and nothing works to bring this particular favicon back ALL OTHER FAVICONS NO PROBLEM

and never a problem on Chrome with or without the same extension from the same author

In summary, here is how I would suggest to see if you can reproduce the problem and solve it.

1. Go this site to see if the Progressive favicon appears..

https://account.progressive.com/access/login?fd=AuthKeyClaimService&cntgrp=A&ses sion_start=true

2. If by some luck it does...Install the Mail counter for Gmail from the Safari Extensions Drop Down

to see if favicon will continue to update. If it does NOT, then go through your process to see if it clears it up.

Does not on mine...but as I said it is the only web link this happens to. I went to two other Progressive weblinks with no issues.

Unsolved for me

Apr 6, 2018 9:05 PM in response to KiteSurfer

Yes, but I'm among the many who trying to eliminate Favicons permanently. They pop up even in Private Browsing and all the solutions the experts are giving don't seem to work. For those of us who don't want the intrusion and annoyance, is there a way to get rid of these things forever? Private browsing used to be good but now it keeps track of all the Favicons forrever, even after deleting the Favicons Cache and Touch Icons Cache. Thanks.

Apr 9, 2018 8:51 PM in response to KiteSurfer

Well, like some, I am trying to get rid of the annoying Favicons which in Safari 11.1, are visible even in so-called Private Browsing. Apple I heard is trying to weaken Private Browsing for corporate access, but the only way Favicons disappear in either regular or Private browsing, is closing Safari, but they pop up again when you open a site. All the Terminal commands to get rid of Favicons permanently don't work as they use WebIconDatabase folders, which are now gone. The new folders cannot be deleted. Some say the Favicons are the price you pay to support Apple's corporate sponsors, but they are a real pain and now Private Browsing is no longer private if someone sees what sites you're on. Hopefully, Apple will restore Private Browsing and Favicon deletion options. Thanks.

SOLVED – Missing Web Page Icons in BookMarks After Safari 11 Update OSX El Cap 10.11.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.