Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos when restoring from iCloud backup

So I've got the new iPhone 8 and used an iCloud backup to get all my data from my old iPhone 6 to the new one. Both are running iOS 11.0 and as such I used Automatic setup before I was prompted to restore from the iCloud backup.

All my data has made it over to the new iPhone, except for all my 10,000 photos. None show up on the new device. When I had to restore from an iCloud backup last year, there were at least greyed out tiles in the photos app, but it still took days for them to be filled with the actual photos (even though my internet connection really isn't all too slow at 50mbit/s) - this time, there is nothing. No photos. Not a single one.

Is this how photos are restored from an iCloud backup now with iOS 11? E.g will they show up as a whole in a few hours or days (instead of partially sequential as it was last year) or is my restoring process corrupted?

When I go into Settings -> my Account -> iCloud -> iCloud-Backup it says an iCloud backup would occur later when the device is plugged in, locked and connected to Wi-Fi - this is how it has been all afternoon; it still displays that message which at least let's me to believe it might still be restoring photos from the backup since it seemingly isn't willing to perform a backup of the not yet fully "loaded" new iPhone.

I am not using iCloud Photo Library, but the backup does include photos in case anyone asks. Photo library size was almost 59GB on the old iPhone, on the new one it currently sits at 260MB since I've already taken some photos.

I've restarted the new iPhone twice since it started displaying the "iCloud backup will occur later" message. I think before that it even said it was restoring from an iCloud backup where that new message now is displayed.
In my iCloud, the old iPhone's backup takes up 67,3GB, the one of the new 0KB.

Oh and no, the new iPhone is a 256 GB model, not the 64GB. The iPhone 6 has 128GB.

iPhone 8-OTHER, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 22, 2017 11:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2017 3:24 PM

Well, I first tried to solve it by creating a backup on my MacBook and restoring from it manually - that didn't really work; photos got back on to the new iPhone in the wrong order with location data missing in most (well, not exactly missing but "Moments" didn't group my photos by location anymore).

The solution for me was to turn on iCloud Photo Library (on the old iPhone of course), create a new iCloud backup and restore the new iPhone from that backup - since all my photos were already stored in iCloud through the iCloud backup, this worked pretty much instantaneously and all my photos eventually found their way to my new phone.

Maybe this will solve it for you too 🙂

Oh and one more thing to add: since I had not turned on iCloud Photo Library on any of my devices (and still haven't done so), this just worked like restoring from an iPhone backup. I really don't get why restoring from the iCloud backup didn't work as flawlessly as this did.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2017 3:24 PM in response to swbisamermaid

Well, I first tried to solve it by creating a backup on my MacBook and restoring from it manually - that didn't really work; photos got back on to the new iPhone in the wrong order with location data missing in most (well, not exactly missing but "Moments" didn't group my photos by location anymore).

The solution for me was to turn on iCloud Photo Library (on the old iPhone of course), create a new iCloud backup and restore the new iPhone from that backup - since all my photos were already stored in iCloud through the iCloud backup, this worked pretty much instantaneously and all my photos eventually found their way to my new phone.

Maybe this will solve it for you too 🙂

Oh and one more thing to add: since I had not turned on iCloud Photo Library on any of my devices (and still haven't done so), this just worked like restoring from an iPhone backup. I really don't get why restoring from the iCloud backup didn't work as flawlessly as this did.

Sep 22, 2017 12:04 PM in response to Eric Root

Only in so far that the new phone is not able to perform a backup of itself as described above ("backup will occur later when the device is plugged in, locked and connected to Wi-Fi"which it was anyways all day long).

Other than that nothing else. All apps have been restored including their data and are fully usable. There is just no photos and also no albums, faces or anything else in the photos app; no structure to fill in, just an empty gallery.

Photos when restoring from iCloud backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.