Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my iphone 6 battery is draining fast since i updated to ios11

iPhone 6, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 22, 2017 1:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2017 1:22 PM

Hi MAUXT,

See the following pages for guidance.

iPhone Battery & Power Repair

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/battery-power

Maximizing Battery Life and Lifespan

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance

All the best.

14 replies

Oct 2, 2017 7:40 AM in response to MAUXT

I’ve had the SAME battery issue since updating my iphone 7Plus to ios11. :(

The only suspicious difference I’ve noticed from previous versions is ... there is no option to turn off Auto-Brightness for the display. I have always left mine OFF. I rarely need or want it bright and I know it drains the battery. Since updating to ios11, I see no toggle to disengage and it is constantly changing brightness so it is in an ON positions. See pics of previous ios and ios11. User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Sep 25, 2017 2:16 PM in response to Salehahmad1980

Low Power Mode reduces or affects these features:

• Email fetch
  • "Hey Siri"
  • Background app refresh
  • Automatic downloads
  • Some visual effects
  • Auto-Lock (defaults to 30 seconds)

I fetch mail manually, siri is not used, app refresh is off, automatic downloads are off, auto-lockis 5 minutes.

None of this seems related to watching battery drain 1-2% every couple of minutes! Like the title says - it drains fast!

There's very clearly some process running in background that hasn't been resolved by thevarious resttings and such.

Sep 25, 2017 1:42 PM in response to MAUXT

I'm having the same issue - very rapid battery drain - on an iPhone 6 with iOS 11.0. On 10.3.3 battery use was fine. Since upgrading i have not been able to use the phone off the charger. The battery just drains while I watch.

I've turned off all notification activity that I don't use - everything except phone and messages.

Turned off all use of location svcs except for the obvious system usages and find iphone and when using for weather and camera.

Turned off icloud for photos - it's always set on during upgrades it seems. Turned off icloud for mail, backup and anything else except notes, keychain, remnders, safari and calendar. I also have1Password using iCloud.

I've also got watch s0 paired with the iphone.

This is the configuration I have now after erasing all settings and data and starting from scratch. This last step was what I was told by tech support was the only option after trying everything else, and now that I've spent 3 hours doing the complete reset and setting the iphone 6 up in a completely minimal configuration. The battery draining is still there!!

There was absolutely no issue using the phone - leaving home, taking pictures and so on before upgrading. Now I have a pretty useless piece of tech. I'm accustomed to all of the issues surrounding defaults needing to be reset and indexing activity (btw I turned off anything having to do with search and siri which I never use) and so on during upgrades. This is atypical, abnormal, aberrant behaviour.

Nov 14, 2017 6:56 AM in response to xristy

Have tried this just to test your theory. No with everything I bought the phone to use , and have been using on this phone for years, it still completely drains the battery from 100% to about 15-20% in the 20-25 minutes it takes to walk my dog. If I use Bluetooth headphones and listen to music,audiobooks or one of my dozens of audio apps on my phone, I paid a lot of extra money for the 128 for this reason, I get 10-13 minutes often it powers off at 35-40% and when I plug it in it instantly jumps to 15-25% but even with everything disabled, per Apple’s official recommendation it just doesn’t work. Please Fix problem instead of making very insulting comments to disable the features that you tout at purchase time.

Dec 18, 2017 10:37 PM in response to CBrian5

Same problem here with my iPhone 6 (it is hardly 1 year 10 months old). After spending lot of time and effort with Apple Support - they finally suggested that I need to replace the battery. Thereafter, I went to the Apple service centre who diagnosed my phone and confirmed that the battery is still in good condition and therefore replacing the battery is not going to solve the problem. The problem is bugged ios11.

Apple has screwed up and is now refusing to take responsibility. Right now I am on 11.2.1 - the battery issue has still not been fixed by Apple.

So now I have lost faith in Apple. I have no other option but to trash this device and buy a new one. I am never going to buy Apple device ever again. And I would never recommend Apple to anyone.

my iphone 6 battery is draining fast since i updated to ios11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.