Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since iOS11 Bluetooth keeps disconnecting

Since I upgraded to OS11 my iPhone 6 keeps disconnecting from the Bluetooth in my car, a Mazda 6 2015 vintage. To reconnect I have to select the phone on my cars infotainment unit and off it goes working for a while longer until it again disconnects mid song. This didn’t occur prior to OS11, any ideas?

Posted on Sep 22, 2017 6:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2017 7:06 PM

Hello Sean,

Thank you for the response. I have no trouble connecting and I am not playing with any settings , just driving listening to my iTunes library when suddenly I get a message that my Bluetooth connection is lost. All I need do is deselect the connection on my car system and I’m away again. Very annoying as it was fine before OS11.

366 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2017 7:06 PM in response to Sean_W.

Hello Sean,

Thank you for the response. I have no trouble connecting and I am not playing with any settings , just driving listening to my iTunes library when suddenly I get a message that my Bluetooth connection is lost. All I need do is deselect the connection on my car system and I’m away again. Very annoying as it was fine before OS11.

Sep 26, 2017 12:27 AM in response to Pathfineroz

Hi Pathfineroz, I have a similar situation with an iPhone 8 device running iOS11 Technical support had me re-pair my BT devices in vehicle (one for handsfree another for music / audio), it worked for some time. Later in the evening when an inbound call came in over BT connection it was lost to my vehicle and music stopped playing. The vehicle continuously re-establishes a BT connection with my vehicle and begins to download contacts, it loads then resets the connection and re-loads phonebook BT . It does this repeatedly but is difficult to reproduce what triggers continuous phonebook reloading.

Sep 28, 2017 3:39 PM in response to tnova

I'm having similar problems. At first it would pair with my car, but nothing worked and it kept dropping and reconnecting. I searched online and found suggestions, and tried them all except for factory resetting my iPhone 8 and starting over. So far I'm at the point where I deleted my phone from the car, deleted all bluetooth pairings from the phone. Turned off the car, turned off bluetooth on the phone, and restarted the phone. At this point I started the car, turned bluetooth back on on the phone and repaired. The connect/disconnect/reconnect is still happening, but not as frequently (minutes instead of seconds), and when it is connected, everything appears to work. I hope they can fix this in a new firmware and it isn't a hardware problem. I do also have my iPhone paired to our home phone, and I'm not having the same problem with it. It's not a signal strength issue as I have have my iPhone on another floor in the furthest point in the house from the base station that it is paired to, and the bluetooth still works.

Sep 29, 2017 8:20 AM in response to Pathfineroz

I’m having the same issue with my UE MEGABOOM Bluetooth speaker. I’ve had this speaker for 2 years and there was NEVER an issue with dropped connections. After installing iOS 11 (and subsequently 11.0.1), I can no longer use the speaker with my iPad Pro to listen to music. Literally, every few minutes the connection is dropped (very irritating). I should also say that I’ve been experiencing the same disconnections with my (new) AirPod earphones. Just awful! What is going on with iOS 11 and Bluetooth?

Sep 30, 2017 2:09 PM in response to Pathfineroz

My wife is having a similar issue with her new iphone8. It pairs to her car(Mercury Montana with SYNC) and starts working, the drops the connection. In order for it to reconnect, she has to stop the car, delete the connections, and repair the phone.

In my car with a new iphone 8 Plus, I am getting playback issues where it seems like the audio intermittently cuts out, and it's very distracting to listen to audio at all in the car.

Are there just issues with the new Bluetooth implementation in the new phones?

Oct 2, 2017 11:33 PM in response to Pathfineroz

Hello Everyone,

Well I updated to iOS 11.01 and now instead of disconnecting once during a 45 minute trip my phone now disconnects between every 1 minute and 5 minutes it is so much worse than it was post iOS11.0.

If I connect via USB after a Blue Tooth disconnect my phone decides to reconnect the phone again via Blue Tooth and proceeds to import contacts and stay connected for the whole trip! Work that out? It doesn't want to stream music via Blue Tooth. I hope this is fixed soon as I may revert to OS 10.x

Kind Regards,

Pathfinder Oz

Oct 4, 2017 1:10 PM in response to AahzNotOz

11.0.2 is out now. I was hoping this would solve the problem, however it has made it worse. The problem I described in my prior message was with 11.0. With 11.0.1, it got a little better in that they disconnect-reconnect wasn't happening quite as often, minutes instead of seconds. Unfortunately 11.0.2 is back to seconds. I've also now tried pairing both my wife's and son's iPhones as well, and they also have the same problem. We all have iPhone 8 Plus, so it could be hardware related problems, but I hope it is not. My son has a Car Play radio in his car and he is not having this problem with it, so between that and not having problems with the house phone not having the Bluetooth pairing problem, I would say it isn't likely to be a hardware problem.

Feb 1, 2018 8:42 AM in response to 81dash

81dash wrote:

Hi @Apple,

Are you going to provide a response or comment? Or just choose to ignore 20 pages of reported issues?

You are talking to fellow Apple users here, not Apple engineering.

To complain to them, leave a comment here:

Product Feedback - Apple

For what it's worth, I have had zero BT issues with an iPhone 8 and X in a 2011 Toyota and several 2017 Hertz rental cars so the issues are not universal.

Feb 27, 2018 8:45 AM in response to Pathfineroz

Hi everyone,

I've read this entire thread, and many others as well. I've tried all of the suggestions in this thread to no avail (delete phone from car, delete car from phone + repair, reset all network settings, hard reset (even set up phone from scratch; no backup restored), installed latest 11.3 beta 3).

However, today I came across this thread: bluetooth keeps dropping and reconnecting

It's a very old issue (since iOS 7ish), but it appears to be the same and hasn't been resolved either. They have a particular workaround I have yet to try, but many are reporting success in there; turn off WiFi.

I don't want to get your hopes up, but I'll definitely report back in a week on whether it has helped or not. In the meanwhile, I highly suggest you guys try this as well, and report on your what kind of success you're having with this workaround in place so that we have more data points at our disposal.

Best of luck,

Gary

Feb 27, 2018 6:57 PM in response to Alfa-159

Also having the same problem, disconnecting and reconnecting with my Cardo Systems Scala Packtalk motorcycle intercom. Running IOS 11.2.5 on my iPhone SE. The phone is on the handlebar, so it is definitely within range.

This may happen several times while I have it on, and at no specific interval or with no obvious cause. It can happen during an active intercom session and also when no intercom session is active.

I have tried the following...

• iphone DND settings, Silence: While iPhone is locked (checked)
  • checked DND while driving - set to activate manually.
  • rebooting the iphone
  • unpairing the iphone, "Forget"ing the connection, repairing
  • rebooting (not resetting) the PackTalk.

A new 11.2.6 update is installing right now so I will see if this clears it up the next time I ride

Apr 4, 2018 7:41 AM in response to Pathfineroz

My previous suggestion to disable Wifi (via Control Center, not permanently) is not foolproof. With Wifi disabled, if I'm interacting with the phone while it's connected to the car (i.e., browsing the web while waiting for my fiancée to get off work), the disconnects come back, and are fairly frequent. When I'm not touching the phone, I haven't noticed a single disconnect when Wifi is off. With Wifi on however, this is not the case.

FYI, testing on my iPhone X since iOS 11.2, now on 11.3.

tl;dr

For me, disabling Wifi (via Control Center) lowers the chance of BT disconnect occurring.

• Zero (AFAIK) disconnects when not touching the phone over ~1 month period of testing.
  • Disconnects may still occur when physically interacting with the phone.

With Wifi enabled, disconnects occur very often even when not touching the phone.

Sep 26, 2017 12:46 AM in response to tnova

Hello tnova,

Today I followed all the instructions I could find on the subject. I removed the pairing on both iPhones and on the car itself so there was no Bluetooth connection. On the phones I disabled WiFi, disabled Bluetooth and then reset the network settings under Settings. The phones then re-boot and I paired them again to the car, so far the Bluetooth connection has stayed active for a hour. I will confirm when I am sure.

Oct 7, 2017 12:11 AM in response to Pathfineroz

Hello Everyone,

Well 11.02 hasn't helped. There is no consistent time frame between lost Blue Tooth disconnections. Sometimes I can have 20 minutes, other times a minute. I can't say I notice Blue Tooth disconnections when listening to the radio but I certainly do when streaming music via the medium, I will have to not use the streaming for a few days and see.

One thing I can say is that when Bluetooth is dropped and the radio starts playing again, the car status bar indicates that the phone is connecting again to Blue Tooth. If I select it it takes off from where it left off.

Kind Regards,

Pathfinder Oz

Since iOS11 Bluetooth keeps disconnecting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.