Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Lightning Digital AV Adaptor (Lightning to HDMI) no longer works after IOS11 update

I often utilize an Apple brand Lightning Digital AV Adaptor (A14381) to send video from my iPhone 6+ to my Pioneer stereo in my car via HDMI. Typically it works flawlessly aside from it losing signal from time to time when the cable is moved.

I started the IOS update from 10 to 11 and was sharing my screen to the stereo just fine prior to the reboot of my phone to install IOS 11. Once the iPhone completed its update the stereo no longer recognizes the that the phone is connected via HDMI, it just says "No Device" when I select the HDMI input.

I connected my daughters iPhone 6 which still is on IOS 10 and it works fine, but when I connect my iPhone 6+ or my wife's iPhone 6+ which have been updated to IOS 11 the stereo says "No Device".

At this point I am very frustrated that "upgrading" my IOS seems to have made the $50 Apple HDMI adaptor useless.

This is a serious defect in IOS 11 in my opinion as it makes the Apple branded HDMI adaptor unusable.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 11, Apple HDMI to Lighning Adaptor

Posted on Sep 22, 2017 8:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2017 8:43 PM

Does not work for me either. This is apparently a known issue. I see it in a lot of threads. I've been waiting for an iOS update to fix this. I wish Apple would just come out and tell everyone whether they plan to support it or not. Its not a cheap adapter. People invested money to use it on a supported hardware setup. I get that product development has to move forward. But, if Apple decides to intentionally break the adapter with a software updates and did not even inform their users this would happen and furthermore has no plans to fix it, this is very wrong. I think it's only fair they should compensate those that purchased this adapter even if its a credit.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2017 8:43 PM in response to Dorf1111

Does not work for me either. This is apparently a known issue. I see it in a lot of threads. I've been waiting for an iOS update to fix this. I wish Apple would just come out and tell everyone whether they plan to support it or not. Its not a cheap adapter. People invested money to use it on a supported hardware setup. I get that product development has to move forward. But, if Apple decides to intentionally break the adapter with a software updates and did not even inform their users this would happen and furthermore has no plans to fix it, this is very wrong. I think it's only fair they should compensate those that purchased this adapter even if its a credit.

Sep 24, 2017 8:08 AM in response to nsantalu

The issue isn’t the adapter, mate; it’s your Pioneer system.

If it were the adapter, the iPhone on iOS 10 wouldn’t work anymore, either. And it’s not iOS 11; at least, that’s not where the solution will be found.

Pioneer has to install firmware and software onto their devices to make them compatible with not just the iPhone hardware, but also the iOS software. Since the software on your Pioneer is older than the iOS 11 software, which was just released, it probably doesn’t have the components to interact with iOS 11. So you need to check for updates from Pioneer.

I’d have done it for you, but you didn’t give the specific model of Pioneer you have, or what year/make/model car you have. But you can check Pioneer’s site directly for them.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Support

Sep 24, 2017 10:24 AM in response to Miss Smartie Partie

Thanks for the reply. To say it is not iOS11 or the cable may have some truth I direcly but in reality if the cable worked fine with the stereo before the upgrade and doesn’t after the upgrade is a clear indication that Apple make some kind of change in how the cable works they would require hardware manufacturers like Pioneer to have to update their firmware which BTW is no simple task on a car stereo which doesn’t typically have connection to the internet.

Apple choosing to change their software in ways that makes their accessories useless to hardware it worked with previously is a really horrible way to support your users base. It could be weeks, months or never before Pioneer updates their Firmware and even after they do release it an update consumers then need to figure out how to get that update onto their stereo or pay someone to do if for them.

My stereo is a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX. The adaptor worked fine before updating phones to iOS11, it doesn’t after the update so clearly Apple changed something which requires Pioneer to release a firmware update and consumers to have to obtain and install that firmware update once it is released.

Sep 25, 2017 6:57 AM in response to nsantalu

FYI I went through the arduous process of pulling my stereo out of the dash board to access the required USB1 plug and purchasing the required 2GB FAT32 flash drive complete the update of the firmware for my Pioneer AVH-4200NEX stereo from v1.05 that was installed by the factory to v1.06 dated 05 Aug 2017. Unfortunately that firmware update made no difference to use of the Apple Digital AV Adaptor which still does not work with my iOS 11 devices.

Oct 24, 2017 7:23 PM in response to nsantalu

I had this problem too; I could not stream video to my TV any longer after upgrading to 11.0.3. I took the phone and adapter in to a Genius bar appointment. The tech tried it with his phone, also running 11.0.3, and it seemed to hesitate but he was able to get it working.

He suggested I reset the phone which I did (make sure to do a backup first). It worked on the store monitor and I took it home hoping it would work on my TV. I had to reset my wifi password and plug and unplug the adaptor a couple times but it is now working. I suggest everyone tries this simple fix.

Oct 25, 2017 4:24 AM in response to macette1976

I got it fixed, i just threw away any apple products i had and went and got chrome cast. Apple has had this problem for years. Products not working with other products, software doesnt work and lack of support on an older model. Tossed out an old computer, an ipad, 3 ipods and the hdmi converter, all no longer supported, thanks apple. So, im just done, always been a droid person anyway.

Apple Lightning Digital AV Adaptor (Lightning to HDMI) no longer works after IOS11 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.