Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I’m not getting an SMS code from PayPal to verify purchase

I’m trying to rent a movie on my 4th generation Apple TV. when I click “Rent,” I get a “verification is required” page telling me that PayPal must send an SMS code to my phone. When I click on “Send Code,” nothing happens. what am I doing wrong? I’ve never had this happen before.

4th gen. Apple TV, updated OS as of 9/22/17

Posted on Sep 22, 2017 9:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2017 9:50 PM

Hi Phillip,

This isn't necessarily something that you are doing wrong. Sometimes SMS verification codes can take a long time to come through depending on how busy your cell network is or the company. I personally waited over an hour for a twitter SMS verification once, and then a whole bunch came through at the same time.

Hope this helps.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2017 9:50 PM in response to Phillip Evans

Hi Phillip,

This isn't necessarily something that you are doing wrong. Sometimes SMS verification codes can take a long time to come through depending on how busy your cell network is or the company. I personally waited over an hour for a twitter SMS verification once, and then a whole bunch came through at the same time.

Hope this helps.

Sep 22, 2017 9:56 PM in response to Phillip Evans

Having SMS verification on Paypal is a security setting on Paypal itself. You will need to do this every time you want to log in to Paypal to buy something through it (I have it too), unless you disable it by logging into Paypal and going into your account settings. I will advise though, disabling it will weaken your security.

You can always choose to rent on your Apple TV with a bank card linked to your Apple account instead. It will be faster and won't face this issue.

Dec 28, 2017 10:29 AM in response to AvalancheUK

That may be true but it's not the issue in this case. I have tried repeatedly to make purchases with my Apple TV 4 and I am running into the same issue. There is clearly some system issue where PayPal SMS messages are not being sent correctly. Given the whole driver of Apple TV is app purchases, in-app purchases, and easy payment for additional content, this is kind of a big deal.

I'm amazed this kind of serious glitch hasn't been identified by Apple/PayPal and quickly fixed.

I’m not getting an SMS code from PayPal to verify purchase

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.