Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 11 has messed up facetime

I am currently in a long distance relationship and we FaceTime every night. Since downloading iOS 11, I have faced numerous complications with FaceTime. If we go back to the home screen and decide to go onto another app while in FaceTime and return to FaceTime we freeze and can’t hang up. Another thing is not being able to answer FaceTime calls. So if apple can fix this, please I’m begging you. Not really, but coming out with all these brand new “high-tech” devices and your own video chatting app is acting up, there is something wrong with that picture. So PLEASE FIX IT APPLE !!

Posted on Sep 23, 2017 1:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2017 4:15 PM

Same issue here, brand new iPad only a month old before ios11, it’s freezing every time on FaceTime and the only way to make the iPad operational again is to give it a hard reset, every single time. The fact that this device is only a few months old now and struggling to do such a core Apple service like FaceTime is unbelievable considering the premium price Apple slap on its products. If I’m paying this much I expect the device to work or at the very least given a solution by an Apple employee but that is also yet to happen as they all suggest a hard reset...

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2017 4:15 PM in response to Phizzlee

Same issue here, brand new iPad only a month old before ios11, it’s freezing every time on FaceTime and the only way to make the iPad operational again is to give it a hard reset, every single time. The fact that this device is only a few months old now and struggling to do such a core Apple service like FaceTime is unbelievable considering the premium price Apple slap on its products. If I’m paying this much I expect the device to work or at the very least given a solution by an Apple employee but that is also yet to happen as they all suggest a hard reset...

Oct 25, 2017 4:22 PM in response to MrParker9As

You will not get a solution from an Apple employee here. This is a user to user support forum, and Apple does not participate here.

FaceTime can be affected my a number of different things, such as network connection, bandwidth, etc. What device are you connecting to? Is your wi-fi connection stable? Are you using cellular for the connection? Have you tried deleting FaceTime and installing it again? Beside the reset, what other troubleshooting have you tried? I wouldn't say that just because the iPad is only a month old that it is a problem of the iPad. I FaceTime with my kids quite often, and we will get a freeze, but it corrects itself in a minute or so, and it has to do with the wireless network. Make sure that you and the receiver both are connected to good wi-fi and the download and upload speeds for your network are good.

Oct 25, 2017 4:30 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Apple employees at Apple stores I should specify sorry. The connection isn’t freezing the actual iPad itself is what’s freezing every single FaceTime call. I.e. the call continues but you are unable to exit the app, unable To end the call even after the other party has ended the call (my iPad stays on a black screen, I let it sit one time and it was still the same an hour later). Only way to be able to have the iPad respond to anything is by hard resetting it.

Oct 25, 2017 4:32 PM in response to MrParker9As

Then follow the recommendation to delete FaceTime and install again. You can also try making a backup of the device and restoring the backup, or restore the device to factory. Test it after that restore. If it is cleared up, then restore your backup and see if that cause a change. If it does, then there is a problem with data in your backup. You would need to restore to factory again and then add your content back individually, not using your backup.

Nov 16, 2017 4:24 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Hi

have the very same issue with FaceTime as described. No solution found as of today, have tried all possible resets, recoveries, diferent APPLE IDs, wifi networks. Contacted Apple Support, they have checked HW - no issues identified.

What I have noticed, it is reproduced only when calling particular contacts and who have an iPhone on the other side of the call. Still looking for fix. Btw, iOS 11.2 beta doesn’t fix a problem.

iOS 11 has messed up facetime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.