Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I remove the currency sign in a currency field?

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Sep 23, 2017 2:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2017 9:36 AM

Numbers 4.3 seems to insist that the results of STOCK, CURRENCY and similar functions be formatted as currency. When you multiply the results by a number (to convert them) the result of that calculation is also formatted as currency, and can't be changed. The only way to remove the Currency formatting so that you don't have unwanted currency symbols that clutter up your document seems to be to use the VALUE function, something like this:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Then you can then format the cell containing the VALUE function as Number, and multiply or divide it by numbers in cells that can be formatted as Number without the currency symbol..

This extra step is unfortunate. You can give feedback to Apple via Numbers > Provide Numbers Feedback.

SG

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2017 9:36 AM in response to Johan_theOneandOnly

Numbers 4.3 seems to insist that the results of STOCK, CURRENCY and similar functions be formatted as currency. When you multiply the results by a number (to convert them) the result of that calculation is also formatted as currency, and can't be changed. The only way to remove the Currency formatting so that you don't have unwanted currency symbols that clutter up your document seems to be to use the VALUE function, something like this:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Then you can then format the cell containing the VALUE function as Number, and multiply or divide it by numbers in cells that can be formatted as Number without the currency symbol..

This extra step is unfortunate. You can give feedback to Apple via Numbers > Provide Numbers Feedback.

SG

Sep 23, 2017 4:05 AM in response to Wayne Contello

The cell are formated as currency, I can't change that, I try but it change back again...

The original data come as a "Stock price" who are a currency and it's good that it is in the beginning, then I can convert it to real many (Swedish kronor) but then I have all prices in the same currency it just clothes my sheet with the currency signe.

Either I want to change the type of the cell to number (but I can't) or I want to remove the currency sign.

I have a sheet with around 100 stocks and the dividend for each month so there ara well over 1000 cells, all in one currency, so the currency signe does not help there...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.