Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the I-Mac have a built-in DVD MAKER

I would like to create a DVD from a number of videos on my hard drive. I am using an I-Mac running El Capitan, version 10.11.6. Can anyone provide information about this?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Sep 23, 2017 8:26 AM

6 replies

Sep 23, 2017 8:37 AM in response to SEB459

If you are talking about a DVD which can be played on and ordinary DVD player and watched on your television, Apple no longer supplies the software to create this. (iDVD was the app for this but it is no longer available.) There are third-party programs which can do this, 'Toast' among them, though probably none of them has the elegance of iDVD or its flexibility with menus. iDVD might still be available from independent retailers or eBay, but I don't know whether it will run on El Capitan. There is a forum for iDVD so that would be the place to ask about availability and compatibility.

Sep 23, 2017 10:01 AM in response to SEB459

Mac OS no longer includes what's necessary - the new iMovie versions let you compose, edit, and put together a video, but it is geared towards sharing online, etc. It will not produce anything that can be played on a DVD.

As mentioned, in order to create a DVD which can be played on any DVD player, you need both software and a dvd burner. If you have the burner, but not iDVD (the discontinued Apple burning software), you'll need something like either Burn (free, but extremely basic) or Roxio Toast (not free, but the best around) or you can do a search for Mac DVD authoring or burn software app.

If you don't have a built in Superdrive, you can get a USB external burner.

Does the I-Mac have a built-in DVD MAKER

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.