Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apps not showing in iTunes Library

I'm running iTunes 12.7 on a 10.11.6 MBP. When I launched iTunes today I couldn't find "Apps" as an option in the drop down at the top. I see Music, Movies, TV Shows, etc. but no Apps. Any thought on how to get the option back?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), 8 GB memory; 750GB drive; 240GB SSD

Posted on Sep 23, 2017 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2017 8:39 AM

tt2--Thanks for the clarification. That's a regression in my view. With the old iTunes version, it was easy to move pages around on the iPhone and rearrange apps without suffering the frustration of playing the tile game on the phone, especially when moving apps from one page to another. I hope a third party comes up with a Mac app that will allow that sort of management again.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2017 8:39 AM in response to turingtest2

tt2--Thanks for the clarification. That's a regression in my view. With the old iTunes version, it was easy to move pages around on the iPhone and rearrange apps without suffering the frustration of playing the tile game on the phone, especially when moving apps from one page to another. I hope a third party comes up with a Mac app that will allow that sort of management again.

Sep 23, 2017 9:15 AM in response to Nestor Holynskyj

You don't, apps are not part of iTunes 12.7, management of them is now done directly on each iOS device.

iTunes 12.7 changes : Changes in the new iTunes - Apple Support

You can add an app's .ipa file from your Mac (e.g. if an app is no longer in the store for redownloading or if you want an older version) to a device by dragging-and-dropping from Finder onto the device in iTunes - see towards the bottom of this page : Manually manage content on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch using iTunes - Apple Support

Sep 23, 2017 9:17 AM in response to Nestor Holynskyj

Management of apps, books, and tones has been removed from iTunes 12.7. See Changes in the new iTunes - Apple Support for details. The intention is clearly that management of these generally takes place on the device.

See the Manually add items from your computer section of Manually manage content on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch using iTunes - Apple Support for the control that remains. This can be used to copy apps, ePubs, iBooks, PDFs, and tones from your computer to your device. The File Sharing feature for copying data between apps and the computer is still there. You can also use iCloud Drive, Dropbox, or other cloud services to move content to and from the device.

tt2

Oct 18, 2017 9:49 AM in response to PowPowSkier

Why was managing the apps on iTunes removed?

You will have to ask Apple why it was removed from iTunes 12.7, I'm just a fellow user

It was nice to be able to view and manage my apps on a larger screen. It was nice to be able to purchase apps from my computer, not just from the iOS device.

You still can, just update to iTunes 12.6.3 (it works for individuals, not just businesses) : Deploy apps in a business environment with iTunes - Apple Support

Oct 18, 2017 10:47 AM in response to Nestor Holynskyj

The download link to iTunes 12.6.3 is in the support article mentioned in King_Penguin's post above. See Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash for steps to roll back to a pre-iTunes 12.7 version of your library database. Windows users need to uninstall the main iTunes application before attempting to install iTunes 12.6.3.

tt2

Oct 18, 2017 9:50 AM in response to PowPowSkier

PowPowSkier wrote:

Hello,

Why was managing the apps on iTunes removed? ...

It was decided by the powers that be that all app management

should really be done on the devices. In addition, removing it from

iTunes is an attempt to remove some of the "bloat" many complain about.

Then again, an all encompassing media management tool is by definition

going to be bloated.

Apps not showing in iTunes Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.