Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating a bootable CD from a .iso file in MacOS Sierra

I have an ISO image of a linux distribution that I would like to burn to a CD. I am using MacOS Sierra.

I see that if I right click on the ISO image, I have the option to burn it, but I am not clear if it will just burn the iso file onto the CD, or actually burn the image and if it will be bootable once burned, or if I need to do something else to make it bootable.

I only have one CDR left, so I really want to get it right the first time and not end up with a CD that contains the .iso file as a single file on the CD, or is not bootable!

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), USB Superdrive

Posted on Sep 23, 2017 8:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2017 10:54 AM

I cannot offer any guarantees but the same procedure applied to a .img image file does burn it correctly. I haven’t tried it with an iso file - oh wait I actually did it with a windows 7 iso file and it worked (it’s been a while since I have used physical discs).

Again, no guarantees, but it *should* work.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2017 10:54 AM in response to uniqueusername123

I cannot offer any guarantees but the same procedure applied to a .img image file does burn it correctly. I haven’t tried it with an iso file - oh wait I actually did it with a windows 7 iso file and it worked (it’s been a while since I have used physical discs).

Again, no guarantees, but it *should* work.

Sep 23, 2017 10:41 AM in response to uniqueusername123

uniqueusername123 wrote:

The computer that will be booting from the CD does not have the capability to boot from USB (it's too old).

http://www.tutonics.com/2012/07/how-to-create-bootable-live-cddvd.html

A standard 700 MB CD can actually hold about 737 MB of data with error correction,

in comparison DVD can hold 4.7 GB of error-protected data

Creating a bootable CD from a .iso file in MacOS Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.