You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 11 hollow arrow and system location services

I've updated my iPhone SE to iOS 11 and I now have a hollow arrow permanently showing on top of my screen next to the bluetooth sign.

It is due to any or either of these three system services:

- compass calibration

- motion calibration & distance

- wi-fi networking

They all attempt to use location, and once they do (filled arrow), they then remain as a hollow arrow forever. The only way to not have the empty arrow showing at all times is to turn all three of these location services off. Is this normal new behavior? It is very distracting to me because it never happened on iOS 10, and it makes me think that an app is using geofencing, when it is not.

Any suggestions on how to keep these three system location services without always having a hollow arrow in my status bar?

Thanks!

iPhone SE, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 23, 2017 2:35 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2017 10:47 PM

I am having the same issue on my 7 Plus ever since upgrading to iOS 11. I have upgraded to iOS 11.0.2 and the problem is still there. For me, it is the Wi-Fi Networking that is causing the hollow arrow showing constantly at the top bar. Once I turn off Wi-Fi Networking then the hollow arrow goes away. I have not found a solution yet other than turning it off.

I've updated my mom's 7 Plus to iOS 11.0.2, but hers does not have this issue (still monitoring though).

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 3, 2017 10:47 PM in response to S. G.

I am having the same issue on my 7 Plus ever since upgrading to iOS 11. I have upgraded to iOS 11.0.2 and the problem is still there. For me, it is the Wi-Fi Networking that is causing the hollow arrow showing constantly at the top bar. Once I turn off Wi-Fi Networking then the hollow arrow goes away. I have not found a solution yet other than turning it off.

I've updated my mom's 7 Plus to iOS 11.0.2, but hers does not have this issue (still monitoring though).

iOS 11 hollow arrow and system location services

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.