Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After ios11 upgrade, contacts are no longer recognized by phone numbers

I just upgraded my iPhone7 to ios11, and quickly noticed that when I go to the phone app, I see the list of recent calls and favorite numbers as showing phone numbers only.. without the contacts names. Even when somebody calls me (and they are in my contact list with the correct phone number + country code), the name isn't shown at caller ID... only the number, with few names being suggested as "Maybe: person name".

It was working well before the upgrade, and I'm sure I have the numbers correctly typed, WITH correct country codes. Even when I receive a call, I go to recent calls and create a new contact out of the number that I just received.. but all in vain as it still doesn't show the name in recent calls or when the person calls again.

I have a Brunei phone number (country code +673) with DST sim card, and sometimes few contacts show the title "Brazil" below the phone number (although the number says +673-xxxxxx), so it indicates a strange bug confusing the two countries since they both start with "Br". I even went to the authorized service center to check how to fix this, and they told me that many people are coming with the same complaint, and still there is no solution for that.

The current situation is making it very difficult to use the phone when receiving phone calls since one has to answer the call without knowing who is calling. Hope apple can quickly address that and fix the problem.

iPhone 7, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 23, 2017 9:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2017 4:16 PM

Workaround for "Brazil" issue.

Thanks to a friend, now the Brazil and Contact Names not appearing on calls problem have been solved.

Here's how to solve the Brazil or Maybe issues:

Step 1: Insert an active international simcard (eg digi or maxis)

Step 2: Go to Settings > Phone > Dial Assist. If it’s ON, turn it OFF for 10 seconds and then turn it back ON. (Note: Dial Assist will NOT show up if you’re using a DST SIM card so you need to use an active international SIM card to access this function.)

Step 3: Hard restart your iPhone (press “power + home button” for 10secs)

Step 4: When phone has restarted, check 📞-recents 🕘, to make sure there’s no more BRAZIL and your contacts are showing on your recent call list.

Step 5: Turn off phone & insert local simcard (dst or pcsb). Note: DO NOT switch back to your DST / PCSB SIM without turning off the phone because if you do that, it will revert back.

Step 6: Turn on the phone

DONE!

credit to www.reddit.com

30 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2017 4:16 PM in response to akasembr

Thanks to a friend, now the Brazil and Contact Names not appearing on calls problem have been solved.

Step 2: Go to Settings > Phone > Dial Assist. If it’s ON, turn it OFF for 10 seconds and then turn it back ON. (Note: Dial Assist will NOT show up if you’re using a DST SIM card so you need to use an active international SIM card to access this function.)

Step 4: When phone has restarted, check 📞-recents 🕘, to make sure there’s no more BRAZIL and your contacts are showing on your recent call list.

Step 5: Turn off phone & insert local simcard (dst or pcsb). Note: DO NOT switch back to your DST / PCSB SIM without turning off the phone because if you do that, it will revert back.

DONE!

credit to www.reddit.com

Sep 30, 2017 11:52 PM in response to akasembr

Hi, I have the same problem as how you described it. However, I have begun to experience this issue on the day Apple released iOS 11, but I have yet to upgrade it until I thought upgrading to 11.0 and, last night 11.0.1 would help to address the issue... But not.

From my finding, it only affects SIM card from DST (I'm not sure about B-mobile's one, though), but this issue automatically disappeared as soon as I have inserted in my Malaysians' SIM card. No rebooting required.

I have tested this on my other iphone, same issue replicated on iPhone 5S (ios10), but not affected on iPhone 5 (ios10). Strange enough, DST SIM card seems to work perfectly fine on my Samsung S8.

So, I guess this is DST's problem?

Oct 8, 2017 9:51 PM in response to zzoolz

Thanks for the tips... unfortunately it didn't work for me (iPhone7 iOS 11.0.2, DST local sim, uMobile international sim).

I'm sure I followed all the steps precisely, and repeated it for about 7 times.

Some of my friends told me that it worked for them after few trials.. so this seems to work under some conditions, but not always.

Dec 1, 2017 9:33 AM in response to AnakLumut

DONE!

update: make sure you select BRU-DSTCom / PCSB manually as your carrier while using international SIM card before step 2.

For e.g if you are using DST, manually use BRU-DSTCom once you inserted your international SIM card

Dec 1, 2017 9:42 AM in response to akasembr

DONE!

update: make sure you select BRU-DSTCom / PCSB manually as your carrier while using international SIM card before step 2.

For e.g if you are using DST, manually use BRU-DSTCom once you inserted your international SIM card.

After ios11 upgrade, contacts are no longer recognized by phone numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.