Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Free upgrade of HD movies to 4k

How to confirm the free upgrade to 4k from HD has taken effect ?

Apple TV 4K, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 24, 2017 12:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2017 6:14 AM

Apple announced 4k it will do free upgrade from HD to 4k .

Please refer to this link and search for upgrade

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2017/09/apple-tv-4k-brings-home-the-magic-of-cine ma-with-4k-and-hdr/

I am not looking to download 4k content , as of now that is not an option.

Thanks for the reply .

6 replies

Sep 24, 2017 5:46 AM in response to fourenvy

Hi fourenvy,

I believe the only way you can view any iTunes movie that has been upgraded or that you have purchased in 4K is through your Apple TV 4K. You will only be able to stream 4K iTunes movies and not download them to your iTunes library on your Mac/PC. However, you will be able to download a HDR version.

There is is a section in the iTunes Store showing all the titles that are now available in 4K HDR.

I hope this is of some use,

Thanks.

Sep 30, 2017 8:03 AM in response to fourenvy

Just had an interesting conversation with an apple chat advisor who informed me that not all previous HD movie purchases will automatically be available to you for free when its made available in 4K.

I have previously purchased Labyrinth in HD.

The movie is now on the 4K store.

I am asked to purchase this move instead of being able to stream it in 4K.

Apparently this is because the content provider has modified (whatever that means) the film so I have to purchase it in 4k as well if I want to watch it.

Its worth stating; I do have a number of previous HD purchases that are all working free of charge in 4K without issue. Man of Steel, Prometheus, Batman vs Superman and Despicable Me are all streaming in 4K and not additional payment has been made.

I have added some of the transcript for info.... Very frustrating!

Mark Humphrey

I have just noticed that the movie Labyrinth is now available in 4k ... i have this movie in HD but when i attempt to watch it in 4k i have to purchase it???

Sharan

Yes, currently as of now, you will not be able to switch the movie, you will need to pay for it.

Sharan

I have carefully reviewed UK iTunes Store and found that those movies have been modified on UK iTunes Store that is the reason you are unable to watch them in 4K.

Sharan

I see that you have purchased the movie “labyrinth” in 7.99 GBP and now the price of the movie is changed to 6.99 GBP.

Sharan

Since the content is modified by the content provider that’s the reason you are unable to play in 4K.

Free upgrade of HD movies to 4k

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.