Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 11 rapid battery drain on iphone 6 plus

i am experiencing a very rapid battery drain on my iphone 6 plus literally beginning minutes after installing iOS 11. i thought this would stabilize over time, but it has not. i'm getting around 5 hours of life (with minimal use, no background tasks) from my phone. this is less than half of what i was getting under iOS 10.

i've reset the device. drained the battery to zero and let it fully charge without any use. no joy. i'm not sure what is happening, but i'm definitely seeing a huge battery drain with this update. any advice would be appreciated.

thank you.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 24, 2017 5:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2017 1:03 PM

thanks for the reply. i am familiar with the techniques listed on the linked page for battery conservation. however, i fail to understand why i should have to change the way i use my phone in order to achieve the same battery life as i was getting before the iOS 11 update. and that's the crux of my issue here. if it was a slightly lower battery life, i could understand, but this is a very significant change. i am experiencing about half of the life i was getting the day before the update to the new OS. clearly, something is wrong...

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2017 1:03 PM in response to brenden dv

thanks for the reply. i am familiar with the techniques listed on the linked page for battery conservation. however, i fail to understand why i should have to change the way i use my phone in order to achieve the same battery life as i was getting before the iOS 11 update. and that's the crux of my issue here. if it was a slightly lower battery life, i could understand, but this is a very significant change. i am experiencing about half of the life i was getting the day before the update to the new OS. clearly, something is wrong...

Sep 25, 2017 1:35 PM in response to faerie king

I'm having the same issue - very rapid battery drain - on an iPhone 6 with iOS 11.0. On 10.3.3 battery use was fine. Since upgrading i have not been able to use the phone off the charger. The battery just drains while I watch.

I've turned off all notification activity that I don't use - everything except phone and messages.

Turned off all use of location svcs except for the obvious system usages and find iphone and when using for weather and camera.

Turned off icloud for photos - it's always set on during upgrades it seems. Turned off icloud for mail, backup and anything else except notes, keychain, remnders, safari and calendar. I also have1Password using iCloud.

I've also got watch s0 paired with the iphone.

This is the configuration I have now after erasing all settings and data and starting from scratch. This last step was what I was told by tech support was the only option after trying everything else, and now that I've spent 3 hours doing the complete reset and setting the iphone 6 up in a completely minimal configuration. The battery draining is still there!!

There was absolutely no issue using the phone - leaving home, taking pictures and so on before upgrading. Now I have a pretty useless piece of tech. I'm accustomed to all of the issues surrounding defaults needing to be reset and indexing activity (btw I turned off anything having to do with search and siri which I never use) and so on during upgrades. This is atypical, abnormal, aberrant behaviour.

Sep 25, 2017 12:24 PM in response to faerie king

Hi faerie king,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

I see that you are experiencing rapid battery drain on your iPhone 6 Plus after updating to iOS 11. It's important to make sure that you can use your iPhone uninterrupted throughout the day, so I'll be happy to help you with this.

I suggest trying the steps in this support article: About the battery usage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch . This article will help check the battery usage and it has tips for adjusting the settings to improve battery life. You can skip any of the steps that you've already tried.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers.

Oct 21, 2017 1:13 PM in response to brenden dv

Upgraded to OS11 without incident. Phone ok for a few days. Today 10/21/17 it was at 51% about 3pm.

Put it on regular charger and when going back thru room the display was alternating between two screens and it was doing vibration alerts at the same rythum. The battery went from 51% to 30% with only photo app open and the phone off. I changed charging cables and saw it was at 19%. I did the reset maneuver and put it back on charge.

Is there a way to return to OS10?

Dec 10, 2017 11:36 AM in response to brenden dv

I am having the same problem as the other respondents.

We are being told to turn this off, look here, do this and that is tantamount to victim shaming. I, for one, am using my phone as I have since 2007. I havent suddenly increased my time on Facebook, as that would be near impossible to do. This is on APPLE. This started with IOS 11. This is not OUR fault. I have to carry 4 extra batteriy chargers just so that I can keep my phone functional during the day. I would love to get rid of iOS 11, and I will not adopt another update until it says it will fix the battery drain issue. I’m darned sure not getting another phone if these problems relate to a function in the latest and greatest app/ phone. FIX THIS

Dec 10, 2017 12:20 PM in response to Micmarti

I had the exact same issue...

And kind of found a way to improve my battery life!

I've managed to reduce the battery drainage by switching off many of the apps background refresh, not having at the same time, wifi, bluetooth and mobile data switched on...

And more importantly another tweak would be to switch one battery saving in the settings...

With the above I have managed to get through the whole day and only charging overnight...

Pretty much common sense!

Feb 2, 2018 5:09 AM in response to faerie king

I’m having exactly the same issues post installation of iOS 11. I’ve read the support article referenced and made changes but nothing helps. I can watch the battery percentage drop in real time on my iPhone 6+ —- super frustrating. Let’s hope this is not purposeful on Apple’s part to punish customers not using the most recent model iPhone.

Mar 30, 2018 10:00 PM in response to faerie king

So, it's been established...MANY people are having this issue since the release of v11 of the operating system. Something happened in the upgrade and Apple will allow us to pay for a new battery at a reduced price! What a deal!! This is happening to me too, along with some GPS issues and intermittent, unexpected shut downs. Before 11 things were fine. Apple - can you hear us? Not happy.

Mar 31, 2018 3:44 AM in response to notesdb

Apple finally admitted 4 months ago that they installed code at the introduction of iOS 11 to slowdown the CPU in all iPhone 6/6S/6S Plus models because of concerns about older, aging Li-ion batteries and degraded performance of these phone batteries after 1-1/2 to 2 years old!

Li-ion batteries, especially the ones used in iPhones are much smaller than iPad batteries and start to degrade in performance sooner.

Li-ion batteries DO NOT work at optimal performance forever. A battery is a battery. They eventually lose their power ability.

If you are still experiencing random shutdown, even with this slowdown codd still in effect, your iPhone battery is already failing and is shot!

Apple HAS stated the battery replacement fixes the issues with all iPhone 6 variant models.

Get the $30 battery replacement and most, if not all, your iPhone issues go away.

It’s that simple.

A new battery will return iPhone 6/6S/6S Plus models to near previously normal speed and operations.

Get it done!

Good Luck to You!

Mar 31, 2018 8:45 PM in response to MichelPM

Had the joy of watching the battery drain in real time. Had to keep it on the charger permanently. Got to the point that the battery stopped charging altogether and could not start the phone. Booked it in for repairs (battery replacement) only to be told that 1) it is out of warranty, and 2) it isn't the battery, it is the charging port. The Apple Genius didn't bother telling my wife that it could be replaced, merely said that if it was under warranty the phone would have been replaced, but since it isn't, nothing can be done. Found out later that the charging port could be replaced, had this done and at the same time replaced the battery - same issue still ongoing. Never had the issue before iOS11. Not sure what else to try. Have switched off everything that makes this a "smart" phone and now use it only for phone calls and messaging. Still the battery only lasts a few hours. The replacement phone won't be an Apple

Mar 31, 2018 11:02 PM in response to BlameTheBattery

Sorry to learn this.

The battery replacement IS supposed to solve the slow performance of any iPhone 6 variant.

It is very possible your iPhone 6 could have other issues unrelated to iOS 11 that was affecting the overall performance of your phone.

There is no way to tell if the entire iOS 11 upgrade/update run just exacerbated any previous iPhone 6 issues.

Your iPhone 6S Plus had other issues it would, obviously, appear.

Have you tried a few hard resets of your iPhone by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until your iPhone goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons?

There are only a very small minority of users reporting in here and reporting that the new iPhone 6 battery replacement did very little to improve the performance of their iPhone 6/6S/6S Plus.

Why some iPhone 6 variant users are still having issues with their phones, AFTER the new, replacement battery, means that these particular iPhone 6 models had other issues, too, that went beyond a simple battery replacement.

Apr 1, 2018 6:22 PM in response to MichelPM

It makes complete sense that the phone has (and had?) other issues that went beyond what the battery replacement could achieve. However, as mentioned above, I did not have the problem of a battery draining within hours of full charge before iOS 11 (and subsequent dot version releases). So regardless of any other issues, it only became a problem for me after the upgrade. And since Apple does not offer the ability to downgrade to an older version of iOS, other than through jailbreaking - which has its own risks - I am stuck with a phone that even with a new battery only runs for a few hours between charges with no way of confirming if it is the version of iOS or another issue. And that is standby time. Make a few calls and it drains a lot quicker. I have done multiple hard resets, reset the network settings -which resolved battery issues on previous iOS upgrades -, a restore from backup, and a wipe and rebuild from scratch, but obviously nothing is working. It would have been nice if the Apple Genius had done more than just say it isn't the battery - maybe some sort of systems check which I assume (maybe naively) is simple enough for them to do - but since he didn't, here we are. Very expensive device for the use I got out of it, not to mention the additional costs associated with repairs. These things happen with electronic devices, I accept that, but every time Apple updates its iOS version, we have issues with battery life. Every time. You would think that by now they would have resolved this very major issue.

iOS 11 rapid battery drain on iphone 6 plus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.