Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airdrop failed to save

Hello.
I'm trying to transfer a couple of mkv files from my Macbook using OX X El Capitan, to my iPhone 6, which has been updated to OS 11 - every time I try and do an airdrop from Macbook to phone, I get the error message 'Airdrop failed to save, use iCloud storage instead?'. I don't want to do this and want the files on my phone. I have loads of free memory, so cana't figure out the issue. Any help would be great. Thank you :-)

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 24, 2017 8:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2018 9:24 PM

I found a solution to the problem but it is conditional.

Condition: only for videos and if the video is an exported file from final cut.

Solution: go to export file, settings and go the video codec section and change to H.264.

Export your movie and when ready you should be able to share through airdrop without any problems.

I hope you found this helpful if yes click and the helpful button.

38 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2018 9:24 PM in response to Elky555

I found a solution to the problem but it is conditional.

Condition: only for videos and if the video is an exported file from final cut.

Solution: go to export file, settings and go the video codec section and change to H.264.

Export your movie and when ready you should be able to share through airdrop without any problems.

I hope you found this helpful if yes click and the helpful button.

Nov 15, 2017 6:02 PM in response to Elky555

Temporary fix if using VLC Player

1. Airdrop like normal.
  2. When prompted to approve transfer- Save to iCloud Drive.
  3. Go to the "New" Apple Files App
  4. Click Browse- Your file should be saved in "iCloud Drive"
  5. Click the saved file
  6. Click the box with arrow in top right corner- gives you more options for the file.
  7. Scroll over to VLC Player.
  8. It should now be listed in VLC like normal.

Oct 2, 2017 11:54 PM in response to Himiona

I was on the phone to tech support for ages - they think the problem is with the VLC software - VLC have just released an update, but i'm afraid it still doesn't work for me - I've tried multiple other video play back apps and airdrop just won't work with any MKV files - please do let me know if you find a solution.

Mar 21, 2018 12:06 PM in response to Elky555

Had this problem with some image files copied from a shared google drive account. I thought it was the file extensions, but it turned out that Mac OS preserved some weird file permissions. To fix it, I did Get Info on the parent folder, made certain it showed my user had read+write access (bottom of the info pane), and then clicked the gear and chose Copy to Enclosed Items (you may have to provide an admin user password). That fixed the AirDrop issue and the files transferred without incident.

May 3, 2018 6:19 AM in response to max_dlsl

I wish this was an option for me. I made a video using iMovie which doesn’t give me any export options for scan, file type, you’d think an Apple product could at least export a default file type that would airdrop to another Apple device. Guess I’ll be switching to PC when I upgrade, this company keeps sinking fast after Jobs died. R.I.P. Jobs, I miss your attention to details and your continued effort to achieve quality and stability.

Oct 4, 2018 3:11 AM in response to Elky555

I had this problem and found out what my issue was.

I was transferring videos from MacBook to iPhone and kept getting failed transfers. I like to shoot in 2.7K, it's a happy medium between 1080 and 4K. iPhones however I believe are not compatible with 2.7K, there's camera settings for 1080 and 4K but no 2.7K. A quick compress from my 2.7K videos to 1080 and boom, transferred.

Not sure if this will fix everyones problem but I guess my take away is make sure the device/s you are sending to are compatible with whatever type of file you are sending.

Oct 18, 2018 1:50 AM in response to Elky555

I was having the same issue, transferring a vertical video from my Macbook pro Late 14 (macOS High Sierra) to Iphone 7 Plus ( 12.0.1). I reexported the video from premiere. and the issue was fixed. Don't export in high bit rates and make sure the aspect ratio is correct.

Bit rate i used: VBR pass 1, 16 bit max to 24

Resolution: width by height, 1080 x 1920 ( Vertical Video for Insta Story)

Airdrop failed to save

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.