Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro App icons changed

I have a 2017 Macbook Pro 15-inch with a 2.8 GHz processor. Recently, the icons for some of my apps started to change without me doing so. The regular icon no longer is shown and now shows a grey rectangle with an "A" made from a pencil, brush, and ruler. It started with one app, and now it is five. I have checked for updates for the apps, and some have updated, but they have remained unchanged. The one app was a game, League of Legends. When it first started, I would uninstall it from the computer and re-install and it would sometimes fix the problem, but it would change again. When I would put the game on the dock, it changes the app eventually to the "A" and grey rectangle. Currently system Preferences is changed on the dock. Safari, Keynote, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft PowerPoint are changed in the app menu.

Can someone please offer any advice on how to change the icons back to normal?

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Sep 24, 2017 8:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2017 10:46 AM

Hi,

Try resetting the NVRAM: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063.

Try booting into Safe Mode: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262 and see if the issue persists there.

4 replies

Dec 4, 2017 6:53 AM in response to CFuller88

I have a 2012 MacBook Pro which did the same thing, except almost all application icons were replaced with the Adobe icon and it happened all at once, not progressively as you report. I did not want to mess with the NVRAM, so I tried the safe boot fix and in that mode the icons were restored to normal. Another restart and all was well again. Many thanks to tjk.

Macbook Pro App icons changed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.