Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Single quote character code in iOS 11.0

How do I use the pre iOS 11.0 single quote character? At least one web app uses that single quote to bold and italicize text. What worked before the upgrade does not work after the upgrade. The code of the single quote character has changed.

thanks,

Eddie

iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 24, 2017 11:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2017 6:10 AM

EddieGarrity wrote:

Here are six single quotes typed after the upgrade: ‘’’test’’’

They look different. You would think it was just a font difference, but it seems there must be a character code difference as well.

These are called "smart" or "curly" quotes and they are indeed different characters. Look for a setting somewhere which will turn off smart/curly punctuation.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2017 6:10 AM in response to EddieGarrity

EddieGarrity wrote:

They look different. You would think it was just a font difference, but it seems there must be a character code difference as well.

These are called "smart" or "curly" quotes and they are indeed different characters. Look for a setting somewhere which will turn off smart/curly punctuation.

Sep 24, 2017 1:26 PM in response to Diana.McCall

Thank you for replying. I’m using the keyboard built into the screen, which pops up in the bottom half of the screen when there is a need to type. The single quote character is to the left of the “return” key. Above it there is the double quote character.

The following includes six single quotes typed before the upgrade: '''1855'''

Thank you,

eddie

Oct 7, 2017 9:35 AM in response to EddieGarrity

maybe the decider had read the following: https://typographyforlawyers.com/straight-and-curly-quotes.html

or read the book "The Mac is not a Typewriter" by Robin Williams. In this particular case it may have been better to heed the book's title literally, at least with the iPad's software keyboard.

Old habits can be hard to break. Having read the "Typewriter Habits" page, which is a link in the link provided above, I now know it's wrong to double space between sentences. Thanks, Eddie

p.s. Still hard to break, I corrected my double spacing before posting this, including the two spaces I had placed after the colon, which is also considered incorrect.

Single quote character code in iOS 11.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.