Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VO2 Max Watch data source in Health

Hi. I’ve got a S2 Apple Watch. I went on a 5k run recently hoping to see my VO2 max but when I finished there was no data recorded in the Health app. Data Sources & Access for VO2 shows ‘none’ and I see no way for me to add my Apple Watch, running Watch OS 4. My iPhone is running iOS 11. I would have thought my watch would be added as a data source by default. Is there any way I can solve this?

Posted on Sep 24, 2017 12:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2017 11:20 AM

My take on the VO2 Max readings:

Must use the RUN app on the watch and run for a minimum of 20 minutes, not a 3rd party like Nike Run or Strava. Cycling will not work it must be a run.

You must also go pretty much balls out, after all it is a VO2 MAX reading, you can’t really go for a slow run & expect a max reading.

For everyone having an issue, please try the above and report back.

Thanks

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2017 11:20 AM in response to 3kds1dg

My take on the VO2 Max readings:

Must use the RUN app on the watch and run for a minimum of 20 minutes, not a 3rd party like Nike Run or Strava. Cycling will not work it must be a run.

You must also go pretty much balls out, after all it is a VO2 MAX reading, you can’t really go for a slow run & expect a max reading.

For everyone having an issue, please try the above and report back.

Thanks

Oct 11, 2017 9:51 PM in response to DmontApple

I used the stock Apple workout app, set to outdoor run. I ran for 30 minutes, during which my heart rate regularly exceeded 180 bpm. The problem is that under Data Sources & Access, my Watch isn’t listed, whereas other people’s watches are, and seem to intermittently get VO2 max ratings when the other criteria you specified are fulfilled. I see no way to add my watch as a data source in the first place.

Oct 27, 2017 7:30 AM in response to Abdullah_Khan

So I think I’ve got a solution. I went on another run and got a VO2 max reading. I matched the time of the reading to my Cardiogram to figure out at what point in my workout it was logged. Now throughout my run I hit 180 bpm multiple times for extended periods and at the end I really exerted myself and it got to that level again. Turns out it was at the end, during my rather strenuous but brief exertion was when VO2 max was logged, even though I hit that same bpm for longer earlier on during my run (these probably didn’t have enough exertion to trigger the reading). I went into VO2 max Data Sources & Access where my Watch was automatically added.

Oct 20, 2017 6:13 PM in response to DaveKRN

I’ve done multiple outdoor runs (and outdoor walks) with an HRM strap. All have usedthe workout app, all have been longer than 20 minutes, and i’ve yet to see a VO2 Max reading. The only readings I’ve seen have been when I’ve gone WITHOUT a HRM strap. Wish there was more official documentation on the algorithm used and how to ensure a proper VO2 MAX reading...

Nov 8, 2017 5:03 AM in response to Abdullah_Khan

I think this problem happens when there’s a failure on HRR heart rate recovery data recording. Apple Watch does this HRR reading right after you stop your workout. You have to be sure your watch is well placed on your wrist and there is no chance to fail on reading your heart rate. I’ve said all that because I’ve noticed every time I had a problem on HRR data reading VO2 max was not displayed. And a last comment: I got VO2 max results even with walking workouts of 30 minutes with max heart rates around 140-150 bpm.

VO2 Max Watch data source in Health

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.