Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does iOS 11 mail have an Outbox?

iOS 11 Mail (at the bottom) shows 'up to date & 1 unsent'. However, as opposed to my desktop Outlook, I cannot find an Outbox (just Sent) where an unsent message would reside. Then you could possibly determine a) why or b) if it's a phantom message and all mail was sent.

Mark

iPhone 6, Windows 10

Posted on Sep 24, 2017 2:01 PM

5 replies

Sep 24, 2017 2:33 PM in response to sberman

There is an Outbox, I just drove right by it thinking it would be at the bottom of the mailboxes along with Trash, Send, etc.

Apparently it appears if a message is stuck or being sent and then disappears.

I've tried to send several messages and they all fail with the same message (attached screenshot).

This is happening after, per another thread/problem (Draft hasn't been syncing) that I started and finished this morning. I deleted my current email address account (Exchange) because it was not syncing Drafts. I then added the same account twice. First as an IMAP account which allowed for Notes and Email which I allowed for both. Second, as an Exchange account. I unchecked Notes and Email and allowed Calendar, Tasks, Contacts.

Drafts now sync and all 'Outlook' modules synced with the server.

I presumed all was well until this problem. I'm wondering if the 'relaying' error has something to do with the name I've given in IMAP setup to the outgoing or incoming server. I've used the same email server for 15 years and all iOS mail since my first iPhone.

User uploaded file

Sep 24, 2017 2:04 PM in response to Markg2

As is true on Macs, iOS Mail only displays an Outbox when a message is sitting there in the process of being transmitted. Once the transmission is complete, the Outbox disappears. If your mail service provider allows you to see the Sent box, your message is likely there.

An unsent message in the process of being composed may reside in a "Drafts" mailbox. It all depends on your mail service provider's setup.

Does iOS 11 mail have an Outbox?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.