Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random tri-tone sounds since updating to iOS 11

Ever since updating to iOS 11, my iPhone 7 has been randomly making the Tri-Tone notification sound throughout the day and night, particularly annoying at night because I charge my phone bedside. No notification badges, banners or lock screen messages. It is not affecting my iPad. Does anyone know what is causing this and how to fix it?

iPhone 7, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 24, 2017 4:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2017 5:51 PM

I've had this problem for several years and it was driving me absolutely insane. I would get the random tri-tone sound at different times throughout the day despite the fact that there was no notification on screen. I think I finally found a way to fix it and it was easy!

First, I would recommend closing all open apps. Then do a "soft reboot" by following the steps below:

Performing a soft reset is pretty simple

1. Just press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons simultaneously for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. You can let go of both buttons after the Apple logo appears.
  2. Your phone will go through the usual process of starting up.
  3. You’ll be back in your home screen.

After this, I never got another randome tri-tone sound. If it does happen, just do another soft reboot. Just had to share since nothing I tried ever fixed it. GL!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2017 5:51 PM in response to johnnyangel666

I've had this problem for several years and it was driving me absolutely insane. I would get the random tri-tone sound at different times throughout the day despite the fact that there was no notification on screen. I think I finally found a way to fix it and it was easy!

First, I would recommend closing all open apps. Then do a "soft reboot" by following the steps below:

Performing a soft reset is pretty simple

1. Just press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons simultaneously for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. You can let go of both buttons after the Apple logo appears.
  2. Your phone will go through the usual process of starting up.
  3. You’ll be back in your home screen.

After this, I never got another randome tri-tone sound. If it does happen, just do another soft reboot. Just had to share since nothing I tried ever fixed it. GL!

Random tri-tone sounds since updating to iOS 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.