Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

upgrading from iPhone 5 to iPhone X

I am excited to anticipate purchasing an iPhone X when they are available. I will be upgrading from an iPhone 5. Don't judge. 😁 It has served me faithfully for five years, but is definitely long in the tooth.

One challenge I have not faced before: my iPhone 5 cannot update software to iOS 11. iPhone X will ship with iOS 11.

My question: I will perform what is known as a "clean install", correct? I cannot install from a backup?

I believe logging into my iCloud will load many settings, and set up iCloud related applications such as mail, contacts, and calendar.

Are there any pitfalls I should avoid, or tips, anyone can suggest?

Thanks!

p.s. can everyone just let me go first in the preorder procedure on Oct. 27th? Thanks again! 😁

iPhone 5, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Sep 24, 2017 5:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2017 9:28 AM

Thank you Jimmy. I can report that I just got off the phone with Apple Support. When we established communication, I received the reply that I WOULD be able to (while setting up my future-tense iPhone X) "restore from backup"... the backup being iOS 10.3.3. to the installed iOS 11 on the (new) phone.

Apple Support confirmed this by saying customers receiving their new iPhone 8's were successful in restoring from iOS 10.3.3. backups to their new phones.

Thanks for everyone's reply.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2017 9:28 AM in response to JimmyCMPIT

Thank you Jimmy. I can report that I just got off the phone with Apple Support. When we established communication, I received the reply that I WOULD be able to (while setting up my future-tense iPhone X) "restore from backup"... the backup being iOS 10.3.3. to the installed iOS 11 on the (new) phone.

Apple Support confirmed this by saying customers receiving their new iPhone 8's were successful in restoring from iOS 10.3.3. backups to their new phones.

Thanks for everyone's reply.

Sep 25, 2017 8:34 AM in response to KiltedTim

Really? My last (forever) backup of the iPhone 5 will be iOS 10.3.3. The new iPhone X will ship with iOS 11 installed.

I thought that when I attempted to restore a backup from my old phone I would receive the message "you cannot restore from this backup because the backup is an older version of the operating system. Please update your old phone to iOS 11 before proceeding."

And, of course, the iPhone 5 cannot install iOS 11.

upgrading from iPhone 5 to iPhone X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.