Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble with AU Mobile sim card and unlocked iPhone 8

I bought a new unlocked iPhone 8 directly from Apple.co.jp however, my wife's AU Mobile sim card will not activate. It seems to at first attempt to connect to parent company KDDI and then fails. There is not connection to AU whatsoever. However, when I try this same sim card in my unlocked iPhone 7 Plus (purchased directly from Apple.com USA not Apple.co.jp) the sim card works perfectly and connects to the AU Mobile network 4G instantly, no problem.

I am wondering if this is an issue with the iPhone 8 purchased from Apple Japan. (I am afraid that the phone we paid for is not truly unlocked). Or if possibly it is an issue with AU Mobile. However, it confuses me since the sim card works in my unlocked iPhone 7.

Any help would be appreciated.

iPhone 8, iOS 11, Tokyo, Japan AU Mobile SIM,

Posted on Sep 24, 2017 5:17 PM

5 replies

Sep 24, 2017 5:21 PM in response to engel1986

If you attempt to activate the phone and do not see an error message on the screen, then it is probably unlocked. If it was not unlocked, you would see an error message on the screen stating the SIM was not supported. However, it may be that the phone you purchased in Japan does not support the cellular bands you are using in your country. It is never a good idea to purchase a phone in a country outside of where you are using the phone. Not all phones support all cellular bands. If you purchased this phone directly from Apple, you have 14 days for a no questions asked return. I suggest you purchase a phone in your country to ensure that it works with your carrier, and the warranty is valid.

Sep 24, 2017 5:39 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thank you Chris for your quick reply. I apologies for not specifying this important detail:

I am currently living in Tokyo, Japan with my wife. I bought a Japanese iPhone 8 from Apple.co.jp and am trying to use it with a Japanese sim card from AU mobile. This Japanese sim card works perfectly on my unlocked American iPhone 7 in Japan but does not currently work on the new iPhone 8 purchased in Japan. So basically: Location is Japan, Phone model is Japan, Sim card is Japan.

Sep 24, 2017 5:59 PM in response to KiltedTim

Hello KiltedTim, there is no error message. I did many tests. This is what happened:

1) If I place the AU mobile sim card into the Japanese unlocked iPhone 8, it attempts to connect to KDDI and then fails (this is AU's parent company). No error message, I then receive an SMS from KDDI asking me to sign up with a monthly plan with them. This sim card originally was for a Japanese locked iPhone 6 (locked to the AU mobile network).

2) If I place the same AU mobile sim card into my American unlocked iPhone 7 Plus (USA model), it works perfectly and instantly connects to the AU mobile network and functions normally.

3) If I take my Rakuten mobile sim card from my American unlocked iPhone 7 Plus (USA model) and place it into the Japanese unlocked iPhone 8 it connects to the Rakuten network (which is actually Docomo) perfectly (after installing Rakuten's APN), and functions normally. But when I take that out and again try the AU mobile sim... it tries to connect to KDDI and then fails. It never even attempts to connect to AU mobile and there is no error message.

Trouble with AU Mobile sim card and unlocked iPhone 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.