Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost my 5Ghz WiFi signals after iOS 11 update

hi,

i am using IPad Pro first generation 12” and before my update to iOS 11, my iPad could see both my 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi signals. After the update I could only see and connect to the 2.4Ghz WiFi. I have done resetting the network settings under the general menu and problem still exists. On the other hand, my iPhone 6 could see my 5Ghz signals even after the iOS 11 update. This shows there is nothing wrong with my router. Anyone or Apple personnel, please help me to solve this issue. Thanks.

iPad Pro Wi-Fi, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 25, 2017 9:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2017 9:38 PM

Hi redmarlboroman,

I see that your iPad Pro is no longer detecting your 5GHz Wi-Fi signal after updating to iOS 11, but your iPhone 6 with iOS 11 has no problem seeing this version of your Wi-Fi network. I can understand why you'd want to get both devices connected to your 5GHz network. I'd like to provide you with some assistance.

Can you please tell me the make and model of the wireless router you're using? If you haven't already, please try restarting your iPad before testing again:
Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If the issue continues, please back up your data before proceeding further:
How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Once you've verified that your backup is complete, please restore your device using iTunes:
Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

When the restore is complete, please try setting up your iPad as a new device. One of the first options presented will be the Wi-Fi network you'd like to connect to. Please take note if your 5GHz network is listed. Once you've checked for this, you can restore from your backup by navigating back to the beginning of the iOS setup screen.

Take care.
24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2017 9:38 PM in response to redmarlboroman

Hi redmarlboroman,

I see that your iPad Pro is no longer detecting your 5GHz Wi-Fi signal after updating to iOS 11, but your iPhone 6 with iOS 11 has no problem seeing this version of your Wi-Fi network. I can understand why you'd want to get both devices connected to your 5GHz network. I'd like to provide you with some assistance.

Can you please tell me the make and model of the wireless router you're using? If you haven't already, please try restarting your iPad before testing again:
Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If the issue continues, please back up your data before proceeding further:
How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Once you've verified that your backup is complete, please restore your device using iTunes:
Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

When the restore is complete, please try setting up your iPad as a new device. One of the first options presented will be the Wi-Fi network you'd like to connect to. Please take note if your 5GHz network is listed. Once you've checked for this, you can restore from your backup by navigating back to the beginning of the iOS setup screen.

Take care.

Nov 12, 2017 4:17 PM in response to Eaman.augend

I have the same problem with my IPhone7 too. It detects the 5GHz network but fails to connect saying "Incorrect password"! My password was not changed and I have other devices connecting correctly with the same password. So, the problem is specific to IPhone7 after iOS upgrade. Did your problem get resolved? Trying to find out if you any one in the Apple community or Apple support has a solution. Thanks!

Oct 8, 2017 8:22 PM in response to sterling r

The steps in your response does not work. I’ve had my cable provider out to my home because I was so confident that an update wouldn’t have my phone messed up. I cannot connect to any 5ghz WiFi connections. An update needs to be pushed out for those users effected. I have factory reset my phone three times and nothing has worked. iOS 11 is a horrible update.

Dec 3, 2017 10:21 AM in response to redmarlboroman

This is a clusterphuck of a release. Root passwordless auth, patch, then patch with accidental removal. Dec 2 bug.

https://xkcd.com/1913/

Thought after 2 months the redicilous things woudl settle. But this 5ghz problem is still there.

P.S: Even this form is buggy. You cannot write anything here, it starts to scorll to top of the page. Typed this in an extra text editor.

Dec 14, 2017 6:14 AM in response to dre-hh

It also helped, for now. All I did that removed the 5 GHz WiFi from showing up in the list over available/visible WiFi networks was to reset the router. Then it stopped showing up on my iPhone 7 iOS 11.1.2 but my girlfriend’s iPhone 7 iOS 11.0.2 was perfectly working still though.

Weird. Nothing changed. Same settings, name, password etc. Just a reset (because I forgot the login to the router). I didn’t do a single change on my phone.

Lost my 5Ghz WiFi signals after iOS 11 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.