Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Sierra error cannot verify firmware on install

I am trying to install High Sierra on my Mac mini (Late 2014) and the install gives an error about not being able to verify firmware. I replaced the hard drive with an 2TB SSD but other than that, it's the same computer as when purchased. How can I fix this? Any help would be appreciated.

Mac mini, macOS Sierra (10.12.1), null

Posted on Sep 25, 2017 1:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2017 6:33 AM

Okay, I got High Sierra to install. The problem was with the EFI partition, which was the reason for the firmware error message. This is what I did:

I booted into the recovery disk on an external drive. I **don't** honestly know if this is necessary. It may be possible to boot into the recovery disk on the main MacHD drive but I did not try it.

In the recovery area, I opened Terminal from the Utilities menu. I then entered diskutil list to see the address of my hard disk. It can also be seen in the Disk Utility; it's probably disk0. At any rate, I wanted to see the partitions on the disk which is not possible in the Disk utility. If your disk is not disk0, then you need to use the proper disk number in the following commands, if you choose to try this method.

Then, in Terminal I entered diskutil verifydisk disk0 to check the disk. Sure enough it said that there was a problem.

I then ran diskutil repairdisk disk0 and got a warning that it would probably erase a certain partition and may cause a problem booting up. The partition it referenced was the EFI partition, so I said yes. It repaired the disk, I rebooted and then (finally!!!) installed High Sierra without a problem.

I could not do this repair from the Disk Utility. It had to be done in Terminal.

I also understand that a reinstall of the current OS on your Mac will fix the EFI partition. This can be done in the Recovery Disk menu, Reinstall Mac OS. Don't bother looking for Sierra in the App Store. It's not there. But it is available by download from the Recovery Disk. I did not try this method because I didn't have the patience for one more MacOS download and install. But you're welcome to try it, of course, if that's easier for you. You would reinstall Sierra and then upgrade to High Sierra if you go this route.

I hope this helps those of you who are still having problems. Regards.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2017 6:33 AM in response to Peter Deep1

Okay, I got High Sierra to install. The problem was with the EFI partition, which was the reason for the firmware error message. This is what I did:

I booted into the recovery disk on an external drive. I **don't** honestly know if this is necessary. It may be possible to boot into the recovery disk on the main MacHD drive but I did not try it.

In the recovery area, I opened Terminal from the Utilities menu. I then entered diskutil list to see the address of my hard disk. It can also be seen in the Disk Utility; it's probably disk0. At any rate, I wanted to see the partitions on the disk which is not possible in the Disk utility. If your disk is not disk0, then you need to use the proper disk number in the following commands, if you choose to try this method.

Then, in Terminal I entered diskutil verifydisk disk0 to check the disk. Sure enough it said that there was a problem.

I then ran diskutil repairdisk disk0 and got a warning that it would probably erase a certain partition and may cause a problem booting up. The partition it referenced was the EFI partition, so I said yes. It repaired the disk, I rebooted and then (finally!!!) installed High Sierra without a problem.

I could not do this repair from the Disk Utility. It had to be done in Terminal.

I also understand that a reinstall of the current OS on your Mac will fix the EFI partition. This can be done in the Recovery Disk menu, Reinstall Mac OS. Don't bother looking for Sierra in the App Store. It's not there. But it is available by download from the Recovery Disk. I did not try this method because I didn't have the patience for one more MacOS download and install. But you're welcome to try it, of course, if that's easier for you. You would reinstall Sierra and then upgrade to High Sierra if you go this route.

I hope this helps those of you who are still having problems. Regards.

Oct 2, 2017 2:02 AM in response to Peter Deep1

Hi,

I had the same problem (at least: symptom) on a MacBookPro8,1. With a "custom" SSD; but then my mini had updated without issues…

What I had found as suggestions, but did not help:

• verify / repair disk. (Potentially from recovery mode). But wasn't broken.
  • start installer from "safe mode".

What I tried and worked (1 out of 1 time):

I started the installer from an "admin" enabled account. -> Worked.
Beforehand it had failed 3 times from a "non-admin" account. The final run started a helper before the actual installation (which took several reboots and a firmware upgrade, if I understand the progress bar looks correctly).

Other proposals I had found:

• Install on a new medium. (As this might fix the firmware during upgrade also for the existing installation.)
  • Reset PRAM/NVRAM.

Hope this helps.

BR/Philipp

Sep 25, 2017 2:57 PM in response to Peter Deep1

There may possibly be issues with particular SSDs.

FWIW, I have completed to installs. As previously mentioned

my MacBook Pro which has a Sandisk Ultra II 480 GB and a

2011 MacMini Server which has a 240 GB Kingston SSDnow v300.

I have another Mini and my iMac which I have yet to try updating

and won't until tomorrow (supper time now). Both with 3rd party

SSDs. The Mini a Toshiba and the iMac an Ultra II 960 GB.

Sep 25, 2017 5:50 PM in response to Expo bill

but that did not

so I installed my sad running sierra

that did not work'

so I tired again

that did not work

so stupidly I contacted the dimwits at apple

hristopher

Thanks for contacting Apple Support. How can I help you?

Expo Bill

Yes or no, will High Sierra work with a MacBook Air 2010? I tried 6 times already with 2 ssds, on running Sierra, the other mountain lion. If yes I’m going to the local apple store this week and have them figure this out If no I stick to Sierra on the mba This is m

Expo Bill

I type slow

Christopher

I will be happy to help you find a solution!

Christopher

Yes you can.

Expo Bill

A yes or no will do

Expo Bill

How? This is not my first update. I have High Sierra running on the Mac mini

Christopher

Thought the app store.

Christopher

through.

Expo Bill

Please.....3 steps ahead of you, I even reset the pram

Christopher

Do you have the available hard drive space for the install?

Expo Bill

That is very insulting, Well go,help someone who needs to figure out how to send a pic of their cat instead,

Nov 1, 2017 9:24 AM in response to Peter Deep1

I'm using a mid 2012 MBP, with a "custom" SSD, running El Capitan. I had had the "couldn't verify firmware" issue during High Sierra install. Checking my partitions with Disk Utility on a regular boot found a problem, bot no easy fix in Disk Util. Using Terminal and "diskutil repairdisk disk0" fixed the issue (in a regular boot, not recovery or safe boot).

Cheers for this quick fix :-)

Nov 25, 2017 3:33 PM in response to Peter Deep1

I was having the firmware not verified issue too on my Macbook Pro 2012. The HDD was replaced with an SSD. I FINALLY figured out a fix for my problem. I tried PRAM reset, reinstalling from FRESH. Ive tried putting the installer on a flash drive and installing, ive tried reinstalling from Sierra and upgrading. Nothing worked.

[THE FIX] - I pulled the model of my SSD from System information, under Storage - Device Name: MKNSSDCR240GB-7.
I then Googled "MKNSSDCR240GB-7 Firmware" and downloaded the firmware from the manufacturers site. The installer only worked on Windows or Linux, so i either had to plug my ssd into a windows computer via Sata cord, or load up linux on a cd. I actually found a bootable version of Windows 10 PE. Located on this site. You can then use the Windows 7 usb download tool by Microsoft located here to burn the ISO file to a flash drive 8GB or more. (Need windows to do this) You can also use a tool called Rufus. But i found it can sometimes let you down.

You then move your firmware files to a flash drive, turn off your mac, turn it back on while holding the "option" key. Boot to your newly made Windows 10 PE flash drive, then run the firmware upgrader exe file. Then reboot after the firmware is upgraded. Now upgrade to high sierra. Should work.

PS: If you only have MacOS, you can burn on ISO to a flash drive with this method. Be aware though, this method is powerful, and if you stupidly type the wrong disk, you could end up wiping your main drive.

High Sierra error cannot verify firmware on install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.