Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"To install macOS High Sierra, a firmware update is required."

I have a mid-2010 MacPro. I'm trying to install High Sierra, but I keep getting this message: "To install macOS High Sierra, a firmware update is required." I can't find any firmware updates. I've tried holding the start button down several times, but I still get the message.User uploaded file

Mac Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), MacPro 5,1, with 2.8GHz quad-core

Posted on Sep 25, 2017 5:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2017 8:03 PM

I have the same issue. Tried it like 5 times. I don't see any gray screen with apple logo though the screen is blank for like 5 minutes after the power light starts to flash and long tone afterwards. After that the I get the login screen and same message.

User uploaded file

66 replies

Oct 2, 2017 1:04 PM in response to Big_Smoke1992

bottom line, we have old products apple does not care about.

I had to reboot and install CS4 and too many albums last nite for 5 hours which is waste if time.

what took air drop 3 seconds to do Monday AM took 9 minutes now, and rejected the function.

I'm trough with apple, I'm sticking to what I have now and cancel buying an new iPad Pro, Apple TV and that ihome music device.

so I gave up at least Sierra works on the MBAm high on the Mac mini-life is okay Mac wise. but I has to re-install many CD because iTunes did not recognize them.

then my network was acting strange, the airport was going in and out of range.

I was advice to use a cleaner, so today I ran a maccleanner, which cleaned the Mac mini, which is must faster, no spinning ball-than I ran the cleaner on the MBA and sure enough cleaned out and set my airport better!

I rolled the dice, and reinstalled high Sierra on my MBA, which worked, after a week of trying.

finally everything is smooth as before all this annoying upgrades

shame on apple for having us go through this, and still will not ever upgrade or buy anything from them again!

Sep 26, 2017 6:33 PM in response to scoogy2

I have the exact same computer, Mac Pro mid 2010. I currently have no OS installed on it so I created a bootable USB drive using the High Sierra installer that I downloaded from my MacBook mid 2010, I then booted to the installer and then chose the drive I wanted to install on, but directly after that I was greeted with the exact same message, but for me the 'Shut Down' button is grayed out so I can't select it. To get around that I used the 'Shut Down' from the drop down menu in the top left of the screen that you get from clicking the Apple logo. I followed the instructions and held the power button until I heard the long beep, after that it the Apple logo appeared along with the loading bar, once that completed it booted back into the installer and I got the exact same message.... I did this two more times and still no luck. At first I thought I was all alone on this issue, but I see it now that others have it too. Hopefully a solution will come soon.

Best of luck!

Nov 12, 2017 5:31 PM in response to scoogy2

OK, I just solved the problem (though I will never know what it was.) I happened to back up my disk (Carbon Copy Cloner,) and erase it, re-partition it, and restore from my backup. I tried to update to High Sierra today, and it worked flawlessly. There must have been something wrong with the disk before that was corrected this way.

Sep 27, 2017 7:03 AM in response to Dogcow-Moof

Well, when I did shut down by using the drop down menu it did seem like it applied the update since I heard the tone and everything, but maybe not. Weird thing is though, it simply won't let me click the shut down button thats inside the window. Also when I do click the shut down button thats in the window, the little spinning ball appears and then nothing happens, I've given it quite awhile too and it just never did anything.

Sep 27, 2017 7:25 AM in response to scoogy2

bottom line, we have old products apple does not care about.

I had to reboot and install CS4 and too many albums last nite for 5 hours which is waste if time.

what took air drop 3 seconds to do Monday AM took 9 minutes now, and rejected the function.

I'm trough with apple, I'm sticking to what I have now and cancel buying an new iPad Pro, Apple TV and that ihome music device.

Oct 1, 2017 1:27 AM in response to Big_Smoke1992

Big_Smoke1992 wrote:

I have the exact same computer, Mac Pro mid 2010. I currently have no OS installed on it so I created a bootable USB drive using the High Sierra installer that I downloaded from my MacBook mid 2010, I then booted to the installer and then chose the drive I wanted to install on, but directly after that I was greeted with the exact same message, but for me the 'Shut Down' button is grayed out so I can't select it.

That is the basic reason for your problem; the firmware update will only be performed if you shut down by clicking the button in the installer, and will not occur if you shut down the computer via the menu bar option.

If the option is greyed out in the installer, there must be some reason, like third-party hardware, that it thinks the install cannot take place.

Do you have any special hardware installed?

Oct 2, 2017 4:51 PM in response to scoogy2

Anything from third party processor boards to third party graphics cards to third party SSD cards.

There is something that is causing the installer to not allow you the Shut Down button as an option, the question is what.

It could also be that some routine is not quiescing, but that would also prevent the menu bar Shut Down from working.

"To install macOS High Sierra, a firmware update is required."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.