Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you use APFS on hard disk drive?

Can you convert a Hard Disk Drive (not SSD) to APFS?

If so, is it a good idea to do so? Would it slow down the system or be unstable?

iMac 2015

MacBook 2010

macOS 10.13 High Sierra

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.5), 21.5-inch, Late 2015

Posted on Sep 25, 2017 7:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2017 7:56 PM

No I would not do it at this time. Apple File System is optimized for Flash/SSD storage, but can also be used with traditional hard disk drives (HDD) and external, direct-attached storage.

You can use Disk Utility to convert external volumes from HFS+ to APFS format.

If I convert a volume to APFS, can I later revert to HFS+?

You can use Disk Utility to erase an APFS-formatted volume and reformat as HFS+. However, your data will not be preserved when you reformat the volume as HFS+.

Rotational hard drives and fusion drives were supported in Developer Preview 1, but support was removed in Developer Preview 2 ... The verbiage on this one was ambiguous. ... FYI -- in beta 13 (Sept 1) -- HDD-only Macs cannot be converted to APFS.

There is no harm in leaving your drive HFS+

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2017 7:56 PM in response to PowerMac_G4

No I would not do it at this time. Apple File System is optimized for Flash/SSD storage, but can also be used with traditional hard disk drives (HDD) and external, direct-attached storage.

You can use Disk Utility to convert external volumes from HFS+ to APFS format.

If I convert a volume to APFS, can I later revert to HFS+?

You can use Disk Utility to erase an APFS-formatted volume and reformat as HFS+. However, your data will not be preserved when you reformat the volume as HFS+.

Rotational hard drives and fusion drives were supported in Developer Preview 1, but support was removed in Developer Preview 2 ... The verbiage on this one was ambiguous. ... FYI -- in beta 13 (Sept 1) -- HDD-only Macs cannot be converted to APFS.

There is no harm in leaving your drive HFS+

Sep 25, 2017 8:43 PM in response to PowerMac_G4

If so, is it a good idea to do so?

Out of morbid curiosity I used Disk Utility to convert an encrypted Time Machine backup drive (external USB3) to AFPS. It did so without complaint and all its files appeared to be intact, but then Time Machine reported it could not be used since it was not formatted according to Time Machine's requirements (Mac OS Extended). To keep it in service as a TM backup device required that it be reformatted properly, which as you know erases everything.

So you can, but I can't think of a compelling reason to do so.

While formatted as AFPS I dragged files back and forth, copied, deleted, etc. Everything worked as expected with the usual boring predictability. It certainly did not result in any performance degradation.

Sep 27, 2017 9:02 PM in response to town

Yes, external drives (including HDDs) can be converted to APFS.

They'll run faster, you'll get more storage space and it'll be more secure.

The biggest downsides as far as I can tell are:

1. The drive can only be used with High Sierra

2. The drive cannot be used with Time Machine (because APFS does not support Directory Hard Links)

I recommend backing up your hard drive before doing it. as that's always smart.

Some people say that APFS is too early to be trusted, but then again iOS has been using it for years... so it's up to you.

Can you use APFS on hard disk drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.