Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I play FLAC files on iPad Pro with iOS 11?

Recently purchased iPad Pro 10.5 and updated to iOS 11 when it came out. 36GB of 256 in use. I've read that iOS 11 will play FLAC music files through a built-in player in the new Files functionality. I have a few FLAC files in my OneDrive that Files can see. In the Files app, I touch the FLAC music file (which plays fine in Windows 8.1) and my iPad says "Downloading." When it finishes, it displays a white screen with the name of the song and "FLAC" in the middle of the screen, but it doesn't play anything and I can't see anything to touch to make it play.

I've tried different songs but the same thing happens. I've tried to "see" the files through the Music app as well as the JetAudio app I have installed, but neither works.

Thanks for any assistance.User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

User uploaded file

iPad Pro Wi-Fi, iOS 11, 10.5"

Posted on Sep 26, 2017 3:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2017 11:42 AM

UPDATE: Have talked with Apple support. A manager is checking with engineers, but he'd never heard of FLAC files and didn't think they were supported. What I DID discover is that I could install the JetAudio app and transfer my FLAC files to my iPad Pro from my PC via the internal JetAudio file transfer mechanism. JetAudio then played them beautifully.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2017 11:42 AM in response to Bnat6979

UPDATE: Have talked with Apple support. A manager is checking with engineers, but he'd never heard of FLAC files and didn't think they were supported. What I DID discover is that I could install the JetAudio app and transfer my FLAC files to my iPad Pro from my PC via the internal JetAudio file transfer mechanism. JetAudio then played them beautifully.

Oct 1, 2017 3:48 PM in response to Bnat6979

They are in fact supported this is new for iOS 11, but as I said you have to sync via iTunes to get it working.

Source: iPad Pro - Technical Specifications - Apple

Source: iPhone 7 - Technical Specifications - Apple

The tech specs on all iphone models got updated to include .flac

however they did not upate the tech specs on the iPad

not sure if this is because its not supported on iPad or if it was an oversight not to update it for the iPads

This is under the audio playback:

• Audio formats supported: AAC-LC, HE-AAC, HE-AAC v2, Protected AAC, MP3, Linear PCM, Apple Lossless, FLAC, Dolby Digital (AC-3), Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC-3), and Audible (formats 2, 3, 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX, and AAX+)
  • User-configurable maximum volume limit

How do I play FLAC files on iPad Pro with iOS 11?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.