Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Sierra and Boot Camp?

Have there been updates to Boot Camp in High Sierra?

When I update to High Sierra do I need to set up Boot Camp again or are there just some driver updates?

Going to back up both partitions anyway but just wondering.

Thank you!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10), Windows 8.1 (Boot Camp)

Posted on Sep 26, 2017 6:11 AM

51 replies

Sep 26, 2017 9:52 AM in response to Loner T

User uploaded file

Bobs-MacBook-Pro:~ me$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *251.0 GB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_APFS Container disk1 50.7 GB disk0s2

3: Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP 200.1 GB disk0s3

/dev/disk1 (synthesized):

0: APFS Container Scheme - +50.7 GB disk1

Physical Store disk0s2

1: APFS Volume Macintosh HD 30.1 GB disk1s1

2: APFS Volume Preboot 21.1 MB disk1s2

3: APFS Volume Recovery 517.4 MB disk1s3

4: APFS Volume VM 1.1 GB disk1s4

/dev/disk2 (external, physical):

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *250.1 GB disk2

1: Windows_NTFS Samsung_T3 250.1 GB disk2s1

Oct 4, 2017 7:48 AM in response to jez69

jez69 wrote:

Just reformat your usb key with disk utility use ms DOS (fat 32). Works for me.

Not all Mac models that support High Sierra - How to download macOS High Sierra - Apple Support - need/support USB. For example 2009-2011 Macs do not support USB installation of Windows. 2012 models with Optical drives support both, while 2013 and later models use USB2 flash drives. 2015 and later models do not support/need USB as noted in the Learn More section of How to install Windows on your Mac with Boot Camp - Apple Support .

Oct 5, 2017 3:36 AM in response to thelastdon85

thelastdon85 wrote:

Well, just a quick update here. I have a thunderbolt drive connected to my MBP. I unplugged it and guess what? BootCamp Assistant started working. So maybe this will help some people out. If you have an external drive connected to your Mac, try unplugging it before you try to launch BootCamp Assistant. If you're trying to install Windows to that external drive, well I can't help you there yet.

Documented in If you see a partition alert while using Boot Camp to install Windows - Apple Support . 😉

Oct 3, 2017 11:14 AM in response to Radu.M

Hello Randy.

I have the same problem with bootcamp assistant it's crash directly after tape "continue"...

I found in my case the solution or the problem ... For use bootcamp you need a USB key for make download and install windows. Mine was insert and when it's not insert bootcamp continue well but tell me it's not a usb key in. I use disk utility and formate my usb key with ms DOS and bootcamp work like a charme now.

Have a chance with that.

Regards

Oct 4, 2017 6:22 PM in response to Mitchell Gross

I have the same problem. On my 2012 MBP when I installed High Sierra Beta it bricked the Windows side of things. Did the same exact install on my girlfriend's 2011 MBP and her Windows worked just fine after the upgrade. Go figure. I formatted the drive, fresh installed High Sierra figuring I'll just set BootCamp up again but then, like others have said, Bootcamp Assistant crashes. Just picked up a 2013 15" MBP, installed 10.13 and then tried BootCamp Assistant and it launched and started working. Figured OK great, I'll go ahead and set up my iCloud and everything on here then come back and install Windows. Proceeded to sign into my iCloud on it, updated to the new public beta and it's back to crashing. Go figure. Can't find a common denominator here considering it's working fine and will not crash on her 2011 model (which is also running the 10.13.1 beta). Unless it has something to do with my iCloud but that would make absolutely no sense whatsoever (although stranger things have happened). All drives are formatted APFS. So again, BootCamp is working fine on her 2011 model, BootCamp Assistant is working fine as well. It is not working on my 2012 model nor my 2013. All of which have been erased and fresh installed.

Oct 4, 2017 6:25 PM in response to Mitchell Gross

Well, just a quick update here. I have a thunderbolt drive connected to my MBP. I unplugged it and guess what? BootCamp Assistant started working. So maybe this will help some people out. If you have an external drive connected to your Mac, try unplugging it before you try to launch BootCamp Assistant. If you're trying to install Windows to that external drive, well I can't help you there yet.

Oct 6, 2017 2:34 PM in response to Loner T

Thanks for the helpful links LonerT.

So, from your link and from the discussion, I gather that this is indeed a bug and that Apple is aware of it. I hope they issue a fix or otherwise remove that feature from the Bootcamp utility (in Windows) if they can't fix it since I spent quite a few wasted minutes scouring the internets for a solution.

I wanted to join this discussion so that hopefully I can get an alert if a fix is indeed issued and somebody replies here with the notice. Tnx.

Oct 7, 2017 5:59 AM in response to Rui Pacheco

Did you figure out a problem for this? I am having the same issue. Using a 2016 MBP15 with Touchbar. Bootcamp is Windows 10 Pro. Command-R, Alt key, Shift-Alt-Command ... none of them will let me get back to my MacOS volume. Bootcamp Control panel in Windows doesn’t see it either. My MBP15 boots straight into Windows. If you figured something out please share. Thanks!

High Sierra and Boot Camp?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.