Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to enable live photos on high sierra?

I cant play live photos on Photos on high sierra. Does anybody faced the same issue?

MacBook, macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Sep 26, 2017 7:09 AM

9 replies

Sep 26, 2017 7:27 AM in response to outthesky

Do your Live Photos show the "Live" badge in the upper left corner, when you view them enlarged or is it missing?

User uploaded file

If this badge is grayed out and inactive, You may need to wait for the video part of the Live Photo to download from iCloud. With iCloud Photo Library enabled, the video part may have been reed from the Mac, if you are using iCloud Photo Library. In that case the Live Photo can be inactive.

Nov 1, 2017 1:56 PM in response to Jack Holland

After the update HighSierra, macOS 10.13.1 I am also seeing only the JPEG parts of the Live Photos in Image Capture's Import window, when I connect my iPhone with iOS 11.1. But Image Capture imports the Live Photos nevertheless as a pair of a .MOV and a JPEG, when I select the JPEG to import.

Only I have to ensure, that the iPhone downloads the MOV from iCloud, before I try to import.

Oct 5, 2017 10:26 AM in response to ijamessaxon

Photo Stream or import. What's the deal here?

My Photo stream definitely does not sync any video - neither video clips nor the live component of a Live Photo: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203511

If you turn on My Photo Stream on all your devices, iCloud uploads your most recent photos (except Live Photos) and pushes them to the My Photo Stream album on your devices.*

when I connect my iPhone 5s (iOS 11.0.2) to a USB port of my Mac with High Sierra, the Live Photos I directly import are playing, after some time.

And they are also playing, if I import the Live Photos with Image Capture to a folder on the Desktop, and then import this folder to Photos using "File > Import".

In Image Capture I can see, that the Live Photos will be downloaded as a pair of a JPEG and a .MOV file.

Importing Live Photos correctly will break, if you enable My Photo Stream. The Photo Stream will only import the JPEG component, and if you later try to import the JPEG-MOV pair, the import cannot pair the video with the JPEG, because the JPEG imported by My Photo Steam will be a duplicate.

Disable My Photo Stream and do not use it at all, if you need to import Live Photos.

Oct 5, 2017 10:01 AM in response to Max Moore Sen.

Right, I'm seeing it be flakey. Sometimes the live photo is there, sometimes it's not. Photo Stream or import. What's the deal here?

Specifically NOT paying for iCloud Photo Library (because it should be 5 Terabytes for FREE), I don't know if things changed.

Previously, on macOS Sierra, I could sync the phone via USB cable to Photos and my Live Photos would be there.

I just tried importing a Live Photo this way and there's no Live badge....

how to enable live photos on high sierra?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.