Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is APFS encryption turned on using FileVault?

Apple support document HT208018 says that current FileVault volumes will be converted to APFS automatically when upgrading to High Sierra.

1. FileVault on HFS+ volumes won't be converted automatically, only FV on SSD. yes/no?

2. When I upgraded to High Sierra on an approved MBP with SSD it didn't give me any options, it just converted it to APFS (unencrypted). I had already turned FileVault off.

3. How do I get my MBP to run APFS-encrypted without using the command line?

4. If I turn FileVault on, will it simply turn APFS-encryption on or will it use the old style FileVault?

This information needs to be presented somewhere and System Preferences/Security& Privacy/FileVault needs to be updated as well, either to document it's only for HFS+ volumes or to have the ability to configure APFS volumes as well.

A secondary issue is with Disk Utility. It says it can partition a disk as APFS-encrypted but it doesn't say early enough whether I can encrypt the main, internal boot drive when booted off an external drive.

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13), null

Posted on Sep 26, 2017 9:20 AM

11 replies

Sep 26, 2017 12:49 PM in response to John Galt

My first Mac at work was purchased in 1988. I spent a long time dealing with secure configurations and encrypted laptops were a requirement (at least at one time). Apple has used APFS' encryption as a sales point, probably for government and enterprise users. I don't see any of this as being a heavy hand, I see it as leaving out important documentation on how to use it. Apple appears to have converted FileVault to APFS-encrypted. That's great but how do I easily encrypt a non-encrypted APFS volume? I can do it without destroying my data by using the command line but there has to be an easier process that allows users and sys admins the ability to set up systems without having to resort to specialized command lines, especially when the command line requires the use of a user's UUID and password. I don't know if Apple looks through these discussions but hopefully they will.

This is how I encrypted an external SSD. I didn't try and figure out what my normal user's UUID was.

$ diskutil apfs encryptVolume disk3s1 -user disk

Passphrase for the new "Disk" user (C24FB2EA-174D-4C66-A715-967EEB14972E):

Repeat passphrase:

Starting background encryption of the new "Disk" user on disk3s1

The new "Disk" user will be the only one who has initial access to disk3s1

The new APFS crypto user UUID will be C24FB2EA-174D-4C66-A715-967EEB14972E

Background encryption is ongoing; see "diskutil apfs list" to see progress

This is also how the Get Info results look for that drive. It specifically states it's APFS (Encrypted). Does yours look the same?

User uploaded file

Oct 15, 2017 8:50 PM in response to prl99

I apologize for not providing proper documention to back up my response since I’m currently on my phone while installing High Sierra on my laptop, but I do know that the way encryption used to work on HFS+ is not only not used on APFS, it can’t be used on APFS.

You may have heard of CoreStorage (CS) before. It was the layer Apple put on top of HFS+ to enable FileVault 2 with (quick) full disk encryption, as well as Fusion drives. As far as I understand, most (if not all) of the functionality of CS was baked straight in to APFS, and as such cannot be used with APFS at all, so turning on FV in the system preferences really just turns on the encryption built in to APFS. The old system for encryption (CS on top of HFS+) doesn’t work on APFS, so you don’t have to worry about getting a separate ‘version’ of encryption from FV as you would Disk Utility.

Sep 26, 2017 1:59 PM in response to prl99

prl99 wrote:

Does yours look the same?

Yes.

Apple appears to have converted FileVault to APFS-encrypted. That's great but how do I easily encrypt a non-encrypted APFS volume?

Use FileVault. It works as it always has. There is no need to use the command line, since it does nothing that System Preferences > Security & Privacy doesn't do. FV encryption and de-encryption has always been nondestructive.

Perhaps the following is relevant to your concerns, though I suspect I don't fully understand what they are:

Set a FileVault recovery key for Mac computers in your institution - Apple Support

Sep 26, 2017 9:37 AM in response to leroydouglas

I know that. It was referenced in the support document I mentioned but it doesn't say whether the converted APFS container is using the old HFS+ style FileVault or if the FileVault encryption has been converted to APFS-encryption within a container. HFS and APFS are totally different beasts. All I'm looking for is an easily accessible switch/setting to turn encryption on after converting my filesystem to APFS.

If you've already done this, please run "diskutil apfs list" and tell me if the new APFS containers say they're encrypted.

Oct 16, 2017 7:41 AM in response to reedvicktor80

Thank you. I took a chance and just turned on FileVault to see what it would do. As you say, it simply turns on encryption within APFS but also gives me the traditional Mac unlock when first powering on. I've used FileVault since the first version, especially at work, where we had to secure laptops when they'd be taken off-site. I am still hoping Apple will update the FileVault information for High Sierra as well as updating the FileVault system preference so it makes sense to everyone. Users should not have to guess about what it's going. When I checked diskutil apfs list, it only lists the root mount point (disk1s1) as being encrypted, the other three mount points (Preboot, Recovery, VM) are not encrypted. I know with APFS, everything shows up as containers so I'm not sure whether the root mount point actually encrypts everything else, including the Recovery partition. With FileVault under HFS+, it was considered full-disk encryption and that's the terminology we used to justify complete protection of data on laptops for our security plans. Until Apple comes out with a macOS High Sierra security white paper, the security staff won't know how to properly word their security plans to make use of the latest OS. Good thing is I don't have to worry about that anymore.

Is APFS encryption turned on using FileVault?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.