Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Inbox Labels in Apple Mail

So I have been emerging myself into Apple's ecosystem recently and for the most part, its been great. There is one thing which is frustrating, which is the mail app, mostly because it doesn't split the emails into their own categories like Gmail does with inbox labels (primary, social, promotion).

Gmail works well on IOS but there is no Gmail app on MacOS. Is there any way to add those labels to apple mail or are there any clients which utilize the inbox labels that gmail uses for MacOS?

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Sep 26, 2017 10:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2017 12:40 PM

Probably wasn’t clear enough. Gmail filters emails into primary, social, or promotion. That way it’s more organized and I don’t get notifications from promo or social emails and they don’t get cluttered with the inbox.

I’ll attach a screenshot of it from my phone. The promo emails are from places I shop and social are emails from Instagram or other media.

My questions is if there’s a way to implement that into the native mail app on MacOS

User uploaded file

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2017 12:40 PM in response to Eric Root

Probably wasn’t clear enough. Gmail filters emails into primary, social, or promotion. That way it’s more organized and I don’t get notifications from promo or social emails and they don’t get cluttered with the inbox.

I’ll attach a screenshot of it from my phone. The promo emails are from places I shop and social are emails from Instagram or other media.

My questions is if there’s a way to implement that into the native mail app on MacOS

User uploaded file

Jan 4, 2018 12:26 AM in response to zzmomo73

AFAICT Apple mail does not support tags/labels natively like other email clients, however Gmail allows you to display your labels as folders in Apple Mail.

Just open up Gmail, click the gear in the top right to open settings, goto 'Labels' and ensure the 'Show in IMAP' checkbox is ticked next to any labels you wish to see as folders in Apple Mail.

I hope that helps 🙂

Inbox Labels in Apple Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.