Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t connect to wifi using 2.4 ghz wifi

I have iphone 6s with ios 11. I am unable to connect my wifi using 2.4 ghz mode; however, 5 ghz works perfect. I thought this as software issue when I was using ios 10.3 but even after updating to latest ios the problem persists.

I have done everything from resetting network setting to factory restore. My wife has iphone 6 plus but having no problem. Also, this has nothing to do with wifi router setting as I am unable to connect to a single 2.4 ghz wifi.

Posted on Sep 26, 2017 11:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2018 4:08 AM

I have the same issue. So, I changed my router which can broadcast in 5Ghz. Now, it works well.

In addition, I have one more problem. The GPS does not work well. It started several days ago all of sudden while I was driving with Google Maps. The GPS spot does not move at all, but it can only spot the place where I am.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2018 4:08 AM in response to Badar89

I have the same issue. So, I changed my router which can broadcast in 5Ghz. Now, it works well.

In addition, I have one more problem. The GPS does not work well. It started several days ago all of sudden while I was driving with Google Maps. The GPS spot does not move at all, but it can only spot the place where I am.

Oct 20, 2017 8:11 PM in response to oshlaf

4 out of 5 devices in my house started having the same exact problem today over the course of several hours. They all connect to the same router on the 5Ghz band no problem.

I think there's a bug in 11.0.3, and I'd guess after a couple of days the 5Ghz band will have the same problem. Maybe when the devices try to renew lease on the wifi connection?

Nov 4, 2017 8:45 PM in response to Badar89

Same issue here on iPhone 7. My fiancé’s 7 plus is fine but he hasnt updated to iOS 11. Spent last two days on phone with Apple support to no avail. I can connect to any 5 ghz band but no 2.4 ghz. Unfortunately our home router only broadcasts in 2.4 ghz. They said by have never heard of this issue and suggested I call my ISP and LINKSYS support. Restored router and phone to factory settings after trying everything in the support articles. Guess I am stuck with buying a new router that supports 5 ghz. By the way it does connect if I lay my phone on top of the router. I don’t even get the wrong password message. But as soon as I pick it up and step away it falls off network and gives the wrong password error when I try to reconnect.

Nov 21, 2017 8:53 PM in response to tatum303

It's definitely an apple issue. I have An iPad & 5 that say incorrect password. Then I have a 5s and 4 which sign on just fine. My roommates 5s and 7 are fine.

I think it comes down to type of security the Aks vs tkis which I don't believe apple allows for a choice to be made.

Unfortunately I don't have time to figure it out right now. Please let us know if you come across anything. Murph

Dec 16, 2017 7:17 AM in response to Murph139

I have the same problem, but with just one device (an iPod running IOS 9.3.5). It worked fine with 2.4 Ghz for years; still works with 5 Ghz (connects to an Airport Extreme configured with same wifi password; also two other non-Apple routers). The 2.4 Ghz SSID shows up, but I get the "incorrect password" message when trying to connect. WPA2 personal security. However, I set up a guest network with WPA/WPA2 personal security, and am able to connect to the guest network.

Jan 11, 2018 6:09 AM in response to Badar89

I have the same kind of problem with my Iphone 6. My phone is up to date for the ios. It seems that it can connect to 2.4ghz, but the trick is that my phone has a really small range of connectivity toward 2.4ghz. However with 5ghz, it works perfectly fine (same kind of range as my previous 2.4ghz). Also, it's applied to every kind of wifi that has 2.4ghz (not just at home). I read that 2.4ghz has a larger range of connectivity than the 5ghz so I think that it's either my phone is broken or a software problem.

Feb 6, 2018 11:38 PM in response to Badar89

Same problem here with my new iPhone 6. Either cannot connect due to wrong password or when it does connect there is zero speed. This happens with my Draytek router which transmits only on 2.4 Ghz. Other apple devices are not impacted. The iPhone 6 works fine with my upstairs AirPort Extreme which transmits also on 5 Ghz.

Extremely annoying bug.

Can’t connect to wifi using 2.4 ghz wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.