Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine/Server Question

I use Mac OS Server to manage Time Machine for all of the Macs in my house. Now that the service has been removed how do I manage Time Machine for the other Macs?

I am very new to Mac OS Server.. does anyone have any suggestions on good books or video tutorials to learn from? I want setup my own email server if its possible with FIOS. Don't need to do it just want to do it to learn.

Thanks

Mac Pro 2012-OTHER, macOS High Sierra (10.13), Server 5.4

Posted on Sep 26, 2017 4:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2017 7:46 PM

Time Machine Server has not been removed. It has just been moved. (And well hidden) Do the following:

1: Open System Preferences > Sharing

2: Define the shared folder that will be (or already is) your TM folder

3: Right click on the folder in the Shared Folders list (or hold down the Control key and click on the folder) to get the contextual menu

4: Choose Advanced Options...

5: Check the box "Share as a Time Machine backup destination" and optionally define a limit

That should get you back and operational.

But, and this is a little fuzzy right now, you might need to reconfigure the clients. (We are all figuring this out). If your server has an SSD drive, it converted to APFS. If your TM share is on the boot volume, then it is now only available over SMB. If your clients are configured for AFP, you will need to update your clients. If your TM share is on an external volume than you should be fine as external volumes should not convert to APFS.

Hope this helps

Reid

Apple Consultants Network

Author - "El Capitan Server – Foundation Services"

Author - "El Capitan Server – Control & Collaboration"

Author - "El Capitan Server – Advanced Services"

:: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2017 7:46 PM in response to paulhoynak

Time Machine Server has not been removed. It has just been moved. (And well hidden) Do the following:

1: Open System Preferences > Sharing

2: Define the shared folder that will be (or already is) your TM folder

3: Right click on the folder in the Shared Folders list (or hold down the Control key and click on the folder) to get the contextual menu

4: Choose Advanced Options...

5: Check the box "Share as a Time Machine backup destination" and optionally define a limit

That should get you back and operational.

But, and this is a little fuzzy right now, you might need to reconfigure the clients. (We are all figuring this out). If your server has an SSD drive, it converted to APFS. If your TM share is on the boot volume, then it is now only available over SMB. If your clients are configured for AFP, you will need to update your clients. If your TM share is on an external volume than you should be fine as external volumes should not convert to APFS.

Hope this helps

Reid

Apple Consultants Network

Author - "El Capitan Server – Foundation Services"

Author - "El Capitan Server – Control & Collaboration"

Author - "El Capitan Server – Advanced Services"

:: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Dec 11, 2017 7:13 AM in response to Marco g

User-Backups to our Time Machine Server are working now. I added several user accounts, granted access rights and then transferred the user rights to the Time Machine Server Volume.

Now we have another issue: obviously, users should not have access to other users Backups. For that reason i had to remove all other users from each individual Time Machine sparsebundles (on the second image you can see only 2 sparsebundles because i tested with 2 users first).

I did not yet find a simple way to gain access rights for the Time Machine Server Volume.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Sep 27, 2017 9:44 AM in response to Strontium90

I have reconfigured all as described above, plus eliminated AFP from all sharing - now 100% SMB. All my Macs have successfully resumed Time Machine backups to the central macOS Server Mac. One note about this, if the remote machine backup (via Time Machine) used AFP, then one needs to go into Time Machine Preferences, remove the AFP drive and re-connect using SMB (i.e. same drive, different protocol).

Now back to the original question. Server used to present a window that showed all the remote Macs backup history as to when last backed up. That was useful to scan to see which Macs might be having a back-up issue. That central report seems to be missing, or really, really well hidden.

Time Machine/Server Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.